gclient sync very very slow

Fady Samuel

Jun 14, 2011, 11:17:48 AM6/14/11
to chromium-dev
Hi all,

gclient has been very slow for me lately (taking 2 or 3 minutes before
it start doing anything). Anyone else experience this? What can I do
troubleshoot this? Thanks,

Fady

Nico Weber

Jun 14, 2011, 11:25:20 AM6/14/11
to Fady Samuel, chromium-dev
Hi Fady,

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Fady Samuel <fsa...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> gclient has been very slow for me lately (taking 2 or 3 minutes before
> it start doing anything). Anyone else experience this?

I haven't seen this yet.

> What can I do troubleshoot this?

A good first step is probably to find out what exactly in gclient is
slow. You can add progress logging to the gclient scripts or use
system tools such as strace on linux or dtruss on OS X to get a first
idea.

gclient autoupdates itself on every startup – maybe that's the slow
step. You can follow the steps at
http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/depottools#TOC-Disable-auto-update
to disable the autoupdate and see if it helps (if you do this, be sure
to have some cronjob that does this update, else it's pretty likely
you will run into problems caused by an outdated gclient script later
;-) ).

Nico

> Thanks,
>
> Fady

Joao da Silva

Jun 14, 2011, 11:28:51 AM6/14/11
to Nico Weber, Fady Samuel, chromium-dev
Hey Fady,

gclient might be taking longer on some repository, but it can
checkout others in parallel using the -jN switch. Try "gclient sync
-j8" for example, if you haven't tried that yet.

Hope this helps :-)
-Joao

Alexei Svitkine

Jun 14, 2011, 11:53:49 AM6/14/11
to Joao da Silva, Nico Weber, Fady Samuel, chromium-dev
>  gclient might be taking longer on some repository, but it can
> checkout others in parallel using the -jN switch. Try "gclient sync
> -j8" for example, if you haven't tried that yet.

Any reason it doesn't do this by default?

-Alexei

Marc-Antoine Ruel

Jun 14, 2011, 2:09:30 PM6/14/11
to asvi...@chromium.org, Joao da Silva, Nico Weber, Fady Samuel, chromium-dev
Some race conditions I've never taken the time to fix. Oh well.

M-A