../../third_party/llvm-build/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++: not found

Bram Stolk

Oct 5, 2022, 3:33:19 PM10/5/22
to Chromium-dev
I am following these instructions for building chromium 105.0.5195.19 on Ubuntu.

When I try to build with

$ autoninja -C out/Default chrome
/bin/sh: 1: ../../third_party/llvm-build/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++: not found

Why is it trying to use this compiler?
I also tried:

CC=clang CXX=clang++ gn gen out/Default

To make it pick up my system's compiler, but no luck.

Thanks!

Takuto Ikuta

Oct 5, 2022, 9:00:48 PM10/5/22
to bram....@canonical.com, Chromium-dev

Bram Stolk

Oct 10, 2022, 1:50:16 PM10/10/22
to Takuto Ikuta, Chromium-dev
Thanks, Yes, I did run
gclient runhooks

I did manage to find the build argument...
clang_base_path = "/usr"
...which enabled me to use the system's compiler.

Nico Weber

Oct 10, 2022, 1:53:49 PM10/10/22
to bram....@canonical.com, Takuto Ikuta, Chromium-dev
You shouldn't have to set `clang_base_path`. If you need to do that, then
a) your checkout is in a bad state, somehow
b) things generally don't work well if you do set `clang_base_path` (it's a setting for people working on clang)

I think it'd be best to find out why third_party/llvm-build/Release+Assert/bin/clang doesn't exist for you. `gclient runhooks` is supposed to run `tools/clang/scripts/update.py`, which is supposed to download that file and put it there. What happens if you run `tools/clang/scripts/update.py` manually?

Bram Stolk

Oct 11, 2022, 1:20:05 PM10/11/22
to Nico Weber, Takuto Ikuta, Chromium-dev

ubuntu@chromium-bld:/usr/src/chromium-105.0.5195.19$ gclient runhooks
Updating depot_tools...
ubuntu@chromium-bld:/usr/src/chromium-105.0.5195.19$
ubuntu@chromium-bld:/usr/src/chromium-105.0.5195.19$ tools/clang/scripts/update.py
Downloading https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-clang/Linux_x64/clang-llvmorg-15-init-15652-g89a99ec9-1.tgz .......... Done.

I have this in my .gclient file:

solutions = [
  { "name"        : 'src',
    "url"         : 'http://src.chromium.org/svn/trunk/src',
    "deps_file"   : 'DEPS',
    "managed"     : True,
    "custom_deps" : {
      "src/third_party/WebKit/LayoutTests": None,
      "src/chrome_frame/tools/test/reference_build/chrome": None,
      "src/chrome/tools/test/reference_build/chrome_mac": None,
      "src/chrome/tools/test/reference_build/chrome_win": None,
      "src/chrome/tools/test/reference_build/chrome_linux": None,
    },
    "custom_vars": {},
  },
]

Takuto Ikuta

Oct 11, 2022, 9:17:17 PM10/11/22
to Bram Stolk, Nico Weber, Chromium-dev
Your directory structure seems strange?
I think tools/clang/scripts/update.py should be in the 'src' directory.

How did you check out the repo?

Daniel Cheng

Oct 11, 2022, 9:28:52 PM10/11/22
to tik...@chromium.org, Bram Stolk, Nico Weber, Chromium-dev
The .gclient file looks quite odd. Chrome hasn't used svn in a long time, and WebKit has long-since been part of the main Chrome repository. M105 is behind the latest stable, but still quite recent. If you ran `fetch --nohooks chromium` from the previously-linked instructions, the .gclient file should still not look like that.

Daniel