How to build and get the 'Google Chrome' browser not 'Chromium'.

Farooq Rahman

Jul 26, 2024, 3:05:44 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 26
to Chromium-dev
I want to build the official 'Google Chrome' browser from the source code. I followed the instructions as mentioned at build chromium. I successfully followed the steps and I build the chromium browser. Below is the version output of that chromium.

root@87fef2c18650:/chromium/src/out/chromebrowser125# ./chrome --version
Chromium 125.0.6422.112

But my requirement is, I want to build the official 'Google Chrome' browser not the Chromium browser. Below is the version output from the official release.

root@87fef2c18650:google-chrome --version
Google Chrome 125.0.6422.112

Please help.

Thanks.
Farooq.

Dave Tapuska

Jul 26, 2024, 3:10:22 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 26
to farooq...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev

Nico Weber

Jul 26, 2024, 3:12:00 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 26
to farooq...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Hi,

it's not possible to build Google Chrome instead of Chromium using publicly-available code. (Setting `is_chrome_branded = true` enables doing it, but it requires image and string resources that aren't public.)

If you set `is_official_build = true`, you'll get a build that uses all the same optimizations, though.

Nico