Scout browser released

Thorsten Sick

Jan 28, 2016, 5:38:21 AM1/28/16
to Chromium-dev, Kirill Krechetnikov
Hello Chromium developers

We just released our Early Access (=Open Beta) version of the Scout
browser. We had it in closed beta testing for several months.

https://www.avira.com/en/avira-scout/

It should not have any impact on Chromium/Google infrastructure or
servers. But you never know....

If you see anything strange happening on the servers, please send us (me
or Kirill) a notification and we will fix it.

Thanks to all those giants for allowing us to stand on their shoulders
Thorsten Sick

--
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG
Kaplaneiweg 1 | 88069 Tettnang | Deutschland / Germany

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/avira
Twitter: https://twitter.com/avira
Blog: http://blog.avira.com

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRA 722586 | USt.-IdNr.: DE 815289569 | Pers. haftende Gesellschafterin: Avira OP GmbH | Firmensitz: Tettnang | Registergericht: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 726712 | Geschäftsführer: Travis Witteveen

Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRA 722586 | VAT-ID: DE 815289569 | Personally Liable Partner: Avira OP GmbH | Headquarters: Tettnang | Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 726712 | Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Travis Witteveen

PhistucK

Jan 28, 2016, 8:56:06 AM1/28/16
to Thorsten Sick, Chromium-dev, Kirill Krechetnikov
Will you release the source code?

PhistucK

Michael Giuffrida

Jan 28, 2016, 11:46:10 PM1/28/16
to phis...@gmail.com, Thorsten Sick, Chromium-dev, Kirill Krechetnikov
+1. I'm a little curious about "we can go beyond add-on and have more of an add-in" but I'm hesitant to run an unfamiliar exe. Does the installer bundle other executables or change system defaults?

Thorsten Sick

Jan 29, 2016, 2:05:11 AM1/29/16
to mich...@chromium.org, phis...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, Kirill Krechetnikov
Hello

Add-in:
At the moment we are investigating how extensions can have access to a
Flash/Java/PDF before it is displayed. So we can forward it to our AV
scanner first. For downloads there is a convenient API. But it seems we
have to add a new one for embedded objects.

I know the NPAPI thing is fixed now. But my trained anti-virus spider
senses tell me that the "Exploit by Flash/Java/PDF" situation will not
be solved in 2016....gut feeling.
So having a scanner just before external tools execute data downloaded
from some internet page will be a big benefit. And this is just the start.

-> If you have an idea how to best handle that, give me a hint, please.
We are already prototyping, but I am sure there are 3 ways to do this
and one of them is elegant.

For the EXE thing:
It is just a browser with extensions pre-installed. No external tools
will be downloaded. Setting it as default browser is optional. It does
not have any PUA bundled (For PUA see:
https://blog.avira.com/freemium-com-vs-avira-we-will-protect-you-against-pua/)

Of course you can run it in a VM for testing if you - like me - don't
trust people on the internet :-)

HTH
Thorsten Sick

Am 29.01.2016 um 05:44 schrieb Michael Giuffrida:
> +1. I'm a little curious about "we can go beyond add-on and have more of
> an add-in" but I'm hesitant to run an unfamiliar exe. Does the installer
> bundle other executables or change system defaults?
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 5:55 AM PhistucK <phis...@gmail.com
> <mailto:phis...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Will you release the source code?
>

> ☆*PhistucK*
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Thorsten Sick
> <thorst...@avira.com <mailto:thorst...@avira.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello Chromium developers
>
> We just released our Early Access (=Open Beta) version of the Scout
> browser. We had it in closed beta testing for several months.
>
> https://www.avira.com/en/avira-scout/
>
> It should not have any impact on Chromium/Google infrastructure or
> servers. But you never know....
>
> If you see anything strange happening on the servers, please
> send us (me
> or Kirill) a notification and we will fix it.
>
> Thanks to all those giants for allowing us to stand on their
> shoulders
> Thorsten Sick
>
> --
> Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG
> Kaplaneiweg 1 | 88069 Tettnang | Deutschland / Germany
> Telefon / Telephone: +49 7542-500 0 <tel:%2B49%207542-500%200>
> Telefax / Facsimile: +49 7542-500 3000 <tel:%2B49%207542-500%203000>
>
> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/avira
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/avira
> Blog: http://blog.avira.com
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRA 722586 | USt.-IdNr.: DE
> 815289569 | Pers. haftende Gesellschafterin: Avira OP GmbH |
> Firmensitz: Tettnang | Registergericht: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB
> 726712 | Geschäftsführer: Travis Witteveen
>
> Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRA 722586 | VAT-ID: DE
> 815289569 | Personally Liable Partner: Avira OP GmbH |
> Headquarters: Tettnang | Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Ulm,
> HRB 726712 | Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Travis Witteveen
>

> --
> --
> Google Groups "Chromium-dev" group.
> it, send an email to chromium-dev...@chromium.org
> <mailto:chromium-dev%2Bunsu...@chromium.org>.
>

> --

Will

Jan 29, 2016, 2:13:32 AM1/29/16
to Chromium-dev, mich...@chromium.org, phis...@gmail.com, kirill.kr...@avira.com
Java plugin is hopefully not a problem any more - it was always an NPAPI plugin so if your browser is based on recent Chromium it already cannot load.

Will
>         <mailto:chromium-dev@chromium.org>
>         View archives, change email options, or unsubscribe:
>             http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-dev
>
>         ---
>         You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>         Google Groups "Chromium-dev" group.
>         To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>         it, send an email to chromium-dev+unsubscribe@chromium.org
>         <mailto:chromium-dev%2Bunsu...@chromium.org>.
>

>     --

Thorsten Sick

Jan 29, 2016, 3:57:23 AM1/29/16
to PhistucK, Chromium-dev, Kirill Krechetnikov
Hi

Currently we are struggling with handling 22GB of source code internally :-)

And our changes are basically re-branding changes. For pragmatic reasons
our current decision here is:

- Logos and branding changes:
Will not be open sourced, because no one cares

- Security features that integrate Avira technology installed on the system:
Will not be open sourced, because no one cares. It is very specific.

- Fixes, security features (proposals) that all will benefit from, ...
We will send them to the chromium team and try to get those integrated
into vanilla chromium

- Enhancements, fixes, ... on HTTPS-everywhere/Privacy Badger and other
Open Source extensions:
Direct open source contribution

Short: We will try to open source anything others will benefit from as well.

HTH
Thorsten Sick

Am 28.01.2016 um 14:54 schrieb PhistucK:
> Will you release the source code?
>

> ☆*PhistucK*
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Thorsten Sick <thorst...@avira.com
> <mailto:thorst...@avira.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello Chromium developers
>
> We just released our Early Access (=Open Beta) version of the Scout
> browser. We had it in closed beta testing for several months.
>
> https://www.avira.com/en/avira-scout/
>
> It should not have any impact on Chromium/Google infrastructure or
> servers. But you never know....
>
> If you see anything strange happening on the servers, please send us (me
> or Kirill) a notification and we will fix it.
>
> Thanks to all those giants for allowing us to stand on their shoulders
> Thorsten Sick
>
> --
> Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG
> Kaplaneiweg 1 | 88069 Tettnang | Deutschland / Germany
> Telefon / Telephone: +49 7542-500 0 <tel:%2B49%207542-500%200>
> Telefax / Facsimile: +49 7542-500 3000 <tel:%2B49%207542-500%203000>
>
> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/avira
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/avira
> Blog: http://blog.avira.com
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRA 722586 | USt.-IdNr.: DE
> 815289569 | Pers. haftende Gesellschafterin: Avira OP GmbH |
> Firmensitz: Tettnang | Registergericht: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 726712
> | Geschäftsführer: Travis Witteveen
>
> Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRA 722586 | VAT-ID: DE
> 815289569 | Personally Liable Partner: Avira OP GmbH | Headquarters:
> Tettnang | Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 726712 | Chief
> Executive Officer (CEO): Travis Witteveen
>
> --

PhistucK

Jan 29, 2016, 6:23:57 AM1/29/16
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Thorsten Sick <thorst...@avira.com> wrote:
- Security features that integrate Avira technology installed on the system:
Will not be open sourced, because no one cares. It is very specific.

​I respectfully strongly disagree. I may be misremembering, but the integration was specifically the part where high severity security issue were found on one of the Chromium based browsers that were advertised as secure.

While I do not think you are an incompetent team, of course, security issues do creep into products, no matter how great its engineers are.

- Fixes, security features (proposals) that all will benefit from, ...
We will send them to the chromium team and try to get those integrated
into vanilla chromium

​Great!​