Chromium Rebranding for Android

Beulah Akindele

May 21, 2021, 11:44:17 PM5/21/21
to Chromium-dev
So I have been going through the chromium documentation and trying to get a general grasp of the project. I decided to begin by changing the name of the application for the launcher label, and APK name. However, I have been unable to do so.

I tried editing the package name via the `build.gn` file in the `src/chrome/android` directory, however I am not seeing the changes I expected.

I also wanted to investigate editing some layouts, so I decided to try opening the `src/chrome/android/java` in AndroidStudio, but I didn't get the sense that it was the appropriate action.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Satish Nada

May 28, 2021, 5:01:41 AM5/28/21
to Chromium-dev, beu...@boldscale.io
Hi here is some steps which is helpful as i tried.

We followed the below steps
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/android_build_instructions.md

For build APK we use this
autoninja -C out/Default chrome_public_apk

We used below GN files for build project for ABI ARM64 configuration.
target_os = "android"
target_cpu = "arm64"
is_debug = false
android_channel = "stable"
is_official_build = true
is_component_build = false
is_clang = true
symbol_level = 0
blink_symbol_level=0
use_unofficial_version_number = false
v8_use_external_startup_data = true
fieldtrial_testing_like_official_build = true
icu_use_data_file = false
ffmpeg_branding = "Chrome"
proprietary_codecs = true
multidex_in_release = true
exclude_unwind_tables = true

Executed script to extract code to run in android studio.

We build a project like below reference link
https://github.com/JokerNineteen/JokerChromium

Hope its help you

Beulah Akindele

Jun 1, 2021, 11:46:52 AM6/1/21
to Satish Nada, Chromium-dev
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Devendra tarak

Jun 17, 2024, 7:25:31 PMJun 17
to Chromium-dev, Beulah Akindele, Chromium-dev, Satish Nada
I was also looking for the same but after exploring for a day I found it myself. If you want to change the application name you might want to update the contents of "chromium/src/chrome/android/java/res_chromium_base/values/channel_constants.xml" (it's simple just replace the word 'Chromium' in the file with your application name).

You can update the logos in similar manner. You just need to change the png files in:

"chromium/src/chrome/android/java/res_chromium_base/mipmap-hdpi"
"chromium/src/chrome/android/java/res_chromium_base/mipmap-mdpi"
"chromium/src/chrome/android/java/res_chromium_base/mipmap-xhdpi"
"chromium/src/chrome/android/java/res_chromium_base/mipmap-xxhdpi"
"chromium/src/chrome/android/java/res_chromium_base/mipmap-xxxhdpi"

I hope this helps.