Basic API setup for Google sync

Ralf Eichelsdörfer

Aug 19, 2020, 7:26:57 PM8/19/20
to Chromium-dev
Hi all,

I am trying to make chromium work on a Mint 20 system. The package has been replaced by a dummy package from Version 20 on, hence I use saiarcot895 build. For that to work with Google sync, I need to create my own set of API key, OAuth ID and secret. However, I have a hard time to figure out how to get this work. chrome://sync-internals/ gives me a

Auth Error: Invalid credentials (credentials rejected by server).

I tried to follow

but it seems that the page is fairly outdated. The OAuth ID creation and the the individual APIs have been renamed. My guesses didnt work.

Could anyone refresh the above page or point me to another resource?

I am a G Suite user.

Best regards,
Ralf Eichelsdörfer

Martin Vana

Feb 23, 2022, 1:34:03 AM2/23/22
to Chromium-dev, Ralf Eichelsdörfer
+1
Year and half later and I am searching for an answer.
Found *many* similar questions like the ones I have but I am failing to find an answer.
Most specifically: How do I get the "CLIENT_SECRET"?
https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/api-keys
doesn't seem to be in sync with the Google Cloud www it points to.

Thanks! Martin

K. Moon

Feb 23, 2022, 4:04:38 AM2/23/22
to m.va...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, Ralf Eichelsdörfer
"Many of the Google APIs used by Chrome are specific to Google and not intended for use in derived products."

K. Moon

Feb 23, 2022, 12:05:16 PM2/23/22
to Martin Vana, Chromium-dev, Ralf Eichelsdörfer
Google Chrome != Chromium. If it's not an official Google Chrome build, many APIs aren't supported.

Otherwise, what you're trying to do isn't supported.

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 8:51 AM Martin Vana <m.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
hank you for responding.
The sentence you quoted from the document in question is specific to "derived products". I am building plain unmodified Chromium and that I believe to be within the scope of the document.

Perhaps I didn't make my question clear enough.
The document refers to
google_default_client_secret = "your_client_secret"
and describes how to get this key at https://cloud.google.com/console
However, the console seems to have changed since the document was written and I cannot find such (well kept :-) ) "secret" there.
Do I still need such secret?
Thanks - Martin

Martin Vana

Martin Vana

Feb 25, 2022, 5:48:09 PM2/25/22
to Chromium-dev, km...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, Ralf Eichelsdörfer, Martin Vana
Thanks! My mistake: I was reading and executing the document top-down and aborted on the first error (as a script would) at
https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/api-keys/#acquiring-keys
"9.  In the pop-up window that appears you'll see a client ID and a "client secret" string. ..."

Thanks for your patience and pointing me to the additional paragraph. I will try to comprehend after another cup of strong coffee.