Extension to mobile communication possibilities

Eduard Hasanaj

Sep 1, 2021, 12:52:02 PM9/1/21
to Chromium-dev

I am making an application and want to create a browser extension. The problem is that I am not finding an appropriate way of communication between the mobile and the chrome extension which is completely local. I wanted a local communication and so far I studied:

  • Websocket - requires external server; in my case the extension should act like a server

  • WebRTC - requires signaling and authentication every time

  • Bluetooth - best opportunity but is not supported in service Worker.

Is there any way of communication that I did not mention here?

I would be really gratefull if someone from Chromium team gives more information if/whhen bluetooth may be supported for extensions(background service workers). The whole idea sells around this and I am desperately trying to find a solution.