How to Build FFMPEG library into iOS Build

Dean Wedel

Oct 30, 2020, 9:38:44 PM10/30/20
to Chromium-dev
I am successfully build Chromium for iOS and getting it into TestFlight. I build with the command-line autoninja on a MacBook-Pro and it works good on a device.

My question is: how do I also build and include the FFMPEG video codecs into the iOS Chromium project?

I have also worked on the Android Chromium build (on Linux) and to get FFMPEG support included I just changed the args.gn file and added these parameters:
proprietary_codecs = true
ffmpeg_branding = "Chrome"
media_use_ffmpeg = true

But that doesn't seem to work on the iOS build. What do I need to do?

Sylvain Defresne

Oct 31, 2020, 3:40:45 AM10/31/20
to dean....@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
It is not possible. Chrome on iOS does not support ffmpeg.
-- Sylvain

Piasy Xu

Jun 20, 2021, 9:12:32 PM6/20/21
to Chromium-dev, Sylvain Defresne, Chromium-dev, dean....@gmail.com
Hi guys, after applying a patch to build scripts, I managed to build ffmpeg on iOS, inside WebRTC project. The build logic (and related patch file) is here: https://github.com/HackWebRTC/webrtc/blob/hack_webrtc_32599/sdk/build_ios_framework.sh