How to fetch Chromium to match the version currently released by Google?

duy le

May 17, 2023, 1:20:06 PM5/17/23
to Chromium-dev
Hi everybody.
How to fetch chromium similar to the version being released by google.
thank you!

Feras Aldahlawi

May 17, 2023, 7:14:13 PM5/17/23
to ledu...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
You can find which versions/branch using this https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/branches

Feras Aldahlawi

May 18, 2023, 7:50:40 PM5/18/23
to duy le, Chromium-dev

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 11:03 AM duy le <ledu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can you show me how to download stable versions from https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/branches.
Thank you very much!

Vào Th 5, 18 thg 5, 2023 vào lúc 00:23 Feras Aldahlawi <f...@google.com> đã viết:

Feras Aldahlawi

May 19, 2023, 12:43:58 PM5/19/23
to Hassan Sultan, Chromium-dev, duy le
Hey Hassan,

I am not sure why you see many crashes. You are right, stable release should be...um...stable. If you can get a crash report (e.g. in chrome://crashes), file a bug?

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 9:52 PM Hassan Sultan <nvidiat...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry to interject but I am facing the same issues, and having followed the instructions, namely getting branch 5615, I can build it, and launch it, and it can render websites, however it very frequently crashes, and opening a tab leads to an access violation (the 'oh snap'...) in the renderer process.

This is supposed to be the extended-stable branch no ? I would have expected it to be very stable, what am I missing ?

Here's what I did :

mkdir chromium && cd chromium
fetch chromium
cd src
gclient sync --with_branch_heads --with_tags
git fetch
git checkout -b 5615 branch-heads/5615
gclient sync --with_branch_heads --with_tags -D
gn gen out\Production --args="is_debug = false is_component_build = true enable_nacl = false blink_symbol_level = 0 v8_symbol_level = 0"
autoninja -C out\Production chrome

Thanks,

Hassan

Hassan Sultan

Feras Aldahlawi

May 22, 2023, 11:59:29 AM5/22/23
to Hassan Sultan, Chromium-dev, duy le
You might need to enable crash reporting https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96817?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop#zippy=

After you reproduce the crash, when you click send, it will upload the crash and return a "crash id". You can use that id to open a bug in crbug and refer to your crashes there.

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 12:37 PM Hassan Sultan <nvidiat...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I went to chrome://crashes , where about 20-30 crashes are listed, and I clicked send on all of them however I noticed that at the top it says that crash reporting is disabled... were they sent or not ? If not, is there a separate way of sending them ?

Christian Biesinger

May 23, 2023, 12:25:16 PM5/23/23
to f...@google.com, Hassan Sultan, Chromium-dev, duy le
I doubt you can enable crash reporting in your own builds. Even if you could, the server would lack the symbols for the build.

However, you should be able to attach a debugger and get a stack trace.  This may possibly require changing symbol_level to 1 or 2.

Christian