Is there a flag/switch/policy to get rid of Google Lens (search prompt) in Omnibox?

guest271314

Jul 25, 2024, 3:29:56 AM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to Chromium-dev
Screenshot_2024-07-23_22-06-37.png

Ian Clelland

Jul 26, 2024, 12:18:22 PM (22 hours ago) Jul 26
to guest...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
I believe that this is controlled in Chromium code (since you're asking on chromium-dev) by the flag "LensOverlay" defined here:
https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:components/lens/lens_features.cc;l=48

In Chrome 128+, you can control this from chrome://flags. Search for "Lens overlay" and you can see that it has options such as "Enabled with persistent icon omnibox entry point". You probably want either "Enabled with no omnibox entry point" or "Disabled".

Ian

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 3:30 AM guest271314 <guest...@gmail.com> wrote:
Screenshot_2024-07-23_22-06-37.png

Will Harris

Jul 26, 2024, 12:33:36 PM (22 hours ago) Jul 26
to icle...@chromium.org, guest...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
I believe on recent versions of Chrome, you can also right click on the empty space in the omnibox and untick 'Always show Google Lens shortcut'.

Will

guest271314

Jul 26, 2024, 9:49:52 PM (12 hours ago) Jul 26
to Chromium-dev, Will Harris, guest...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, icle...@chromium.org
I already disabled Lens Overlay in chrome://flags and to try to make sure launched with `--disable-features=LensOverlay before I asked anything here. I usually look here https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/ before asking about new features in flags. Thus my question here.

Still there.

There's no menu option on right-click to disable Google Lens search on Chromium 129.0.6614.0 (Developer Build) (64-bit).

Why is that there in the first place? If people want to use Google Lens, whatever that is, I'm sure they can find that on Google Search.