gclient startup error on Windows

George Joseph

Sep 28, 2022, 7:49:51 PM9/28/22
to Chromium-dev
Hello All,

I was trying to build a new chromium repo and I got this error with gclient:

D:\Chromium\chromium_vanilla\src>gclient sync
Updating depot_tools...

src (ERROR)
[0:00:00] Started.
Error: Command 'git --version' returned non-zero exit status 1 in .
git version 2.35.1.windows.2

I am running a Windows 11 machine with the 10.0.20348.0 Windows SDK.
This machine did build Chromium 2 weeks ago with the same depot_tools

The depot_tools version I am using :
commit e3ed6a8e015bada7f2708d990b5e8c4d01bcf047 (HEAD, origin/main, origin/HEAD)
Author: recipe-roller <recipe-mega...@chops-service-accounts.iam.gserviceaccount.com>

I am not sure how I can firgure out what file the depot_tools package is trying to open( The system cannot find the path specified).

Any ideas which could help isolate these missing files.

Thanks,
George.

Takuto Ikuta

Sep 28, 2022, 11:40:03 PM9/28/22
to kottacka...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Do you have depot_tools on top of your %PATH%?

Also adding -v to gclient sync may show more information.

George Joseph

Oct 4, 2022, 9:18:38 AM10/4/22
to Chromium-dev, tik...@chromium.org, George Joseph
Thanks @tik, I was able to get by the issue by using the "Run as.." option for the command line. Definitely something in my PATH or environment variables.