When does Chrome display this frowny face?

Simon Que

Oct 27, 2017, 12:16:11 PM10/27/17
to Chromium-dev
I'm seeing this frowny face on Chrome for both Linux and CrOS. On the CrOS system, I noticed some OOM error messages from the kernel, followed by the Chrome process getting killed.

Is this frowny face displayed when Chrome gets killed by the system?

Simon
Chrome Frowny Face.png

PhistucK

Oct 27, 2017, 1:36:45 PM10/27/17
to Simon Que, Chromium-dev
I never saw a screen that only has a frowny face without any test.
However, generally, the frowny face shows up (alongside some text) when a renderer process crashes, or when a renderer process is otherwise unexpectedly killed (either by the user, the system or the browser).

PhistucK

Charlie Reis

Oct 27, 2017, 1:41:27 PM10/27/17
to PhistucK, Simon Que, Chromium-dev, Ken Buchanan, Lucas Gadani
[+kenrb, lfg]

That looks like the icon used when an out-of-process iframe process crashes or is killed.  I think the same icon is used for Chrome Apps <webview> and other GuestViews.  There's generally no text because it needs to fit in small frames as well.

Charlie

Lucas Gadani

Dennis Wu

Oct 31, 2017, 1:59:30 PM10/31/17
to l...@chromium.org, cr...@chromium.org, phis...@gmail.com, sq...@chromium.org, chromi...@chromium.org, ke...@chromium.org
Here's a ticket submitted today regarding the frowny face problem.
https://gutsv3.corp.google.com/#ticket/29432440

--
Dennis Wu | Hardware Engineer | denn...@google.com | 650-460-0258

Simon Que

Oct 31, 2017, 5:47:26 PM10/31/17
to Lucas Gadani, Charlie Reis, PhistucK, Chromium-dev, Ken Buchanan
We are seeing this show up on Chromebox for Meetings, running production images in our meeting rooms. I suspected that a Chrome process is OOM'ing and causing the kernel to kill it, leaving behind the sad face. But we are also seeing this in rooms without OOM's.

Now we are not sure what is the cause, nor are we able to reproduce it locally. I can get the frowny face to show up momentarily before our app restarts itself, if I kill one of the renderer processes from the command line.

What would a subframe process or GuestView look like in "ps aux"?

See Google internal bug: b/67870955