Is Chrome faster than Chromium?

Michele Renosto

Apr 18, 2018, 6:29:41 PM4/18/18
to Chromium-dev
I did some benchmarks and Chrome seems to be slightly faster than Chromium.

Can you reproduce? If yes what could be the cause, sub-optimal flags or closed source additions?

Peter Kasting

Apr 18, 2018, 6:35:45 PM4/18/18
to compos...@hotmail.com, Chromium-dev
On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 2:17 PM, Michele Renosto <compos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
I did some benchmarks and Chrome seems to be slightly faster than Chromium.

Can you reproduce? If yes what could be the cause, sub-optimal flags or closed source additions?

I would expect compilation flags.  How are you obtaining your Chromium binary?

PK

Michele Renosto

Apr 18, 2018, 7:31:21 PM4/18/18
to Chromium-dev, compos...@hotmail.com
I tried the one from https://download-chromium.appspot.com/ , the one on Ubuntu's repos and to build one in Gentoo. They are slower on both Windows and Linux.

Peter Kasting

Apr 18, 2018, 7:36:27 PM4/18/18
to Michele Renosto, Chromium-dev
I'm not one of the build folks, so I'm out of my depth here, but I think in addition to doing a release build (which I imagine all the above do), you need to do an "official build", which I think may trigger things like PGO/WPO that cause the build to take a tremendously long time and a lot of resources to complete.

I suspect the first is pulling from our build archives, which I know are not official builds (because doing that takes too long and serves no purpose we need).  For Ubuntu and Gentoo, I wouldn't know how the repos are configured to build things.

PK

Michele Renosto

Apr 19, 2018, 7:27:38 AM4/19/18
to Chromium-dev, compos...@hotmail.com
Interesting, these are the flags of Ubuntu and Gentoo and they aren't doing an official build, how much longer does it take to do an official build?

Arch Linux is building with that flag so I'm gonna try it there...

Nico Weber

Apr 19, 2018, 1:38:11 PM4/19/18
to compos...@hotmail.com, Chromium-dev
As Peter says, if you set is_official_build=true you should get binaries that are identical in optimization level to chrome builds. (Note that this currently isn't true on Android, where the Chrome binaries use a non-public order file. I hope to fix this one day. As far as I know, it's true on all other platforms. It used to not be true on Windows, but we did fix that one recently.)

How much is_official_build=true slows down the build depends on the platform. On Linux, it turns on LTO, which makes the first link take several minutes on a fast machine (maybe a bit less than 10? I haven't tried in a while). Subsequent links are faster, but that's more for devs doing work on official builds than for build machines which usually only do full builds each time.

Here are the exact args that a bot building Chrome-not-Chromium uses: https://logs.chromium.org/v/?s=chromium%2Fbb%2Fchromium.chrome%2FGoogle_Chrome_Linux_x64%2F30185%2F%2B%2Frecipes%2Fsteps%2Fgenerate_build_files%2F0%2Fstdout (you can find the same for other desktop platforms from https://ci.chromium.org/p/chromium/g/chromium.chrome/console – sheriffs, someone should check what's up with 'sizes' on the Win bot.) is_chrome_branded=true requires an internal checkout, but that shouldn't affect general build perf, it only controls the color of the icon, and if we bundle Flash etc.