GPU blacklist

Daniel Coletti

May 21, 2013, 2:01:43 PM5/21/13
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi,
    I have a Radeon HD 6430M graphics card, chromium is not using its GPU (deliberately) for some reason. If I start chromium with --ignore-gpu-blacklist the fps speed test fly (60 fps) and without the argument the fps never reaches 25 fps.

The graphics card works with a proprietary driver (fglrx, I have the latest version: 12.10.5) and it seems to be buggy (Issue 136054 http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=136054), can I assume that this bug is the reason the fglrx driver (and all the cards that work with it) is in the gpu-blacklist? If not, is there any way to find out the reason?

thanks,

daniel//

Kenneth Russell

May 21, 2013, 2:28:10 PM5/21/13
to dcol...@xtech.com.ar, Chromium-dev, Zhenyao Mo
If your GPU is blacklisted, then about:gpu should point to one or more
bug reports which are the reason why.

The 12.10.5 fglrx driver is not the latest version. 13.4 is the
currently available version on AMD's web site. I am 99% sure that this
is the reason your card is blacklisted. I don't see Issue 136054
mentioned in the current blacklist.

-Ken
> --

Daniel Coletti

May 21, 2013, 3:19:07 PM5/21/13
to chromi...@chromium.org, dcol...@xtech.com.ar, Zhenyao Mo
Thanks Ken,

The AMD's web site does say that the driver version is 13.4 but when you install it using the shell script provided a 12.104 version is installed, maybe it's because I'm working on an ubuntu 12.04

xtech@xtech-Irix6-3:~/Descargas$ sh amd-catalyst-13.4-linux-x86.x86_64.run
Created directory fglrx-install.T904UM
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver-12.104....................................................

Now, I check the about:gpu, the relevant lines say:

Graphics Feature Status

  • Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
  • Flash Stage3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
  • Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
  • Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
  • Panel Fitting: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration disabled.
  • Rasterization: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled.

Which of these lines get the driver to the gpu-blacklist? I can figure it out. Accelerated 2d canvas is unstable in Linux at the moment.", right?
I'm just trying to figure out if the bugs reported are going to give me problems or not, this graphics cards will be used for a specific purpose and I want to know before I make a bigger purchase.

thanks again,

daniel///

Kenneth Russell

May 21, 2013, 3:45:45 PM5/21/13
to dcol...@xtech.com.ar, Chromium-dev, Zhenyao Mo, Christopher Cameron, Stephen White
It's a little confusing but there are two version numbers for AMD's proprietary driver -- that of the whole bundle (13.4), and that of the driver itself (12.104).

The blacklist is working as expected for your configuration. Compositing and WebGL are GPU accelerated, but 2D canvas is not. I've just upgraded to the 12.104 driver on Ubuntu 12.04 and some basic tests work.

There is no concrete plan for enabling GPU acceleration for 2D canvas on Linux due to continued concerns about stability. Feel free to file a bug about this, especially if you test it extensively and find that it is working reliably on your setup.

BTW, what is the web page on which you see poor performance?

-Ken

Daniel Coletti

May 21, 2013, 4:19:22 PM5/21/13
to Kenneth Russell, Chromium-dev, Zhenyao Mo, Christopher Cameron, Stephen White
2013/5/21 Kenneth Russell <k...@chromium.org>

It's a little confusing but there are two version numbers for AMD's proprietary driver -- that of the whole bundle (13.4), and that of the driver itself (12.104).

The blacklist is working as expected for your configuration. Compositing and WebGL are GPU accelerated, but 2D canvas is not. I've just upgraded to the 12.104 driver on Ubuntu 12.04 and some basic tests work.

There is no concrete plan for enabling GPU acceleration for 2D canvas on Linux due to continued concerns about stability. Feel free to file a bug about this, especially if you test it extensively and find that it is working reliably on your setup.

BTW, what is the web page on which you see poor performance?

These are the test I'm running... they do work if I ignore the gpu blacklist, the problem is that using --ignore-gpu-blacklist is unacceptable, they want "to be sure" that the browser will be stable.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2306601/We%20Construct/Sun%20C2/index.html (must do 59/60 fps)

and this on

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/performance/fishietank/ (must do 59/60 fps with 100 fish)

HTLM5 Video streaming

http://www.youtube.com/html5 (here you can enables HTML5 video player on youtube. Not for all videos. Do right click on the video, it must say “about HTML5”)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY (example video to test HTML5 once enabled)

WebGL:

http://www.zynaps.com/site/experiments/environment.html?mesh=buddha.wft (bad performance, even ignoring gpu blacklist)

thanks again,

daniel//

--
Daniel Coletti
Director

Kenneth Russell

May 21, 2013, 5:05:21 PM5/21/13
to Daniel Coletti, Chromium-dev, Zhenyao Mo, Christopher Cameron, Stephen White
On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Daniel Coletti <dcol...@xtech.com.ar> wrote:
> 2013/5/21 Kenneth Russell <k...@chromium.org>
>>
>> It's a little confusing but there are two version numbers for AMD's
>> proprietary driver -- that of the whole bundle (13.4), and that of the
>> driver itself (12.104).
>>
>> The blacklist is working as expected for your configuration. Compositing
>> and WebGL are GPU accelerated, but 2D canvas is not. I've just upgraded to
>> the 12.104 driver on Ubuntu 12.04 and some basic tests work.
>>
>> There is no concrete plan for enabling GPU acceleration for 2D canvas on
>> Linux due to continued concerns about stability. Feel free to file a bug
>> about this, especially if you test it extensively and find that it is
>> working reliably on your setup.
>>
>> BTW, what is the web page on which you see poor performance?
>

> These are the test I'm running... they do work if I ignore the gpu
> blacklist, the problem is that using --ignore-gpu-blacklist is unacceptable,
> they want "to be sure" that the browser will be stable.
>
> http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2306601/We%20Construct/Sun%20C2/index.html
> (must do 59/60 fps)

On my configuration (AMD GPU, Ubuntu 12.04) this easily reaches 60 FPS.

> and this on
>
> http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/performance/fishietank/ (must do 59/60 fps
> with 100 fish)

This needs accelerated 2D canvas in order to run acceptably. However,
with --ignore-gpu-blacklist, the demo thinks it's reaching 60 FPS when
it's clearly not drawing 60 FPS to the screen. The GPU blacklist seems
to be working around some other problem as well as disabling
accelerated 2D canvas; see below.

> HTLM5 Video streaming
>
> http://www.youtube.com/html5 (here you can enables HTML5 video player on
> youtube. Not for all videos. Do right click on the video, it must say “about
> HTML5”)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY (example video to test HTML5 once
> enabled)

I don't seem to be able to select any of the HD options even with
--ignore-gpu-blacklist. Can you?

> WebGL:
>
> http://www.zynaps.com/site/experiments/environment.html?mesh=buddha.wft (bad
> performance, even ignoring gpu blacklist)

This does not use WebGL. It does software rasterization in JavaScript.
The demo runs faster in Chrome than Firefox.

http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html is a
better indicator of WebGL performance. It should reach 60 FPS easily.
In the default configuration it does, but with --ignore-gpu-blacklist
it starts to run slowly, just as the FishIE demo above does. The GPU
blacklist is making Chrome take some alternate code path, but I'm
sorry, I can't help figure out what it is. You can feel free to file a
bug about this and the accelerated 2D canvas issue above; please post
the bug ID if you do.

-Ken

Andrew Varga

Oct 28, 2016, 3:36:22 AM10/28/16
to Chromium-dev, dcol...@xtech.com.ar, z...@chromium.org, ccam...@chromium.org, senor...@chromium.org
WebGL stopped working for me recently with the latest Chrome update (54.0) on a Geforce 8800GT (latest nvidia driver: 341.98, but it already stopped working with an older driver version)

Checking chrome://gpu I see 2 problems in red:
Accelerated rasterization has been disabled, either via blacklist, about:flags or the command line.
Disabled Features: rasterization
Native GpuMemoryBuffers have been disabled, either via about:flags or command line.
Disabled Features: native_gpu_memory_buffers

Running chrome with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag is not helping.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

PhistucK

Oct 28, 2016, 4:10:58 AM10/28/16
to griz...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, Daniel Coletti, Zhenyao Mo, ccam...@chromium.org, senor...@chromium.org
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page. Attaching the whole output (minus personally identifying information) of about:gpu would be helpful.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK

Victor Miura

Oct 28, 2016, 3:22:43 PM10/28/16
to griz...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, dcol...@xtech.com.ar, z...@chromium.org, ccam...@chromium.org, senor...@chromium.org
The rasterization and native_gpu_memory_buffer features being disabled are as expected on Windows and Linux platforms.  It sounds like WebGL status is OK?

Please file an issue, with the full chrome://gpu output.

Thanks

---