Accessibility of Chromium's "View Source" with screen readers

187 visningar

Jason White

oläst,
11 apr. 2022 13:24:002022-04-11
till chromium-ac...@chromium.org
Is the following a known issue?

If I access a Web page of reasonable size (e.g., 1MB of HTML surce) and
invoke View Source (Ctrl-U, Command-Option-U on Mac), screen readers
can't read and navigate the HTML source with reasonable effectiveness.
Specifically:

Orca under Linux: it can read the first several lines, but becomes
unresponsive as I try to search the text or to read through it with
Down-Arrow. This is also the best result - see below.

JAWS 2022 and NVDA 2022.1 beta 3 under MS-Windows: the page is treated
as though it were blank - the screen reader doesn't read it at all, even
if I wait a while.

VoiceOver under Mac OS: I wasn't able to read the source at all (after
using Command-Option-U to invoke).

I don't have a Chrome OS system readily available for testing. A
colleague reproduced the issue with JAWS 2022.

The page that I was testing (while reporting an issue related to another
free/open-source project):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space

Jason White

oläst,
22 apr. 2022 10:44:002022-04-22
till Jacobo Aragunde Pérez, Chromium Accessibility

On 22/4/22 04:16, Jacobo Aragunde Pérez wrote:
> Could you report it to: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium ? I could
> do it for you otherwise.

Yes, I'll report it. Thank you for doing the analysis.

Mi Phone

oläst,
22 apr. 2022 17:29:542022-04-22
till Jason White, chromium-ac...@chromium.org
Thanks for your email

Aaron Leventhal

oläst,
22 apr. 2022 17:29:572022-04-22
till Chromium Accessibility, ja...@jasonjgw.net
Hi, thank you for the report. Our team is looking into it.

Jacobo Aragunde Pérez

oläst,
22 apr. 2022 17:30:022022-04-22
till chromium-ac...@chromium.org
Hi Jason,

I don't think it's a known issue. I cannot find it reported, at least.

I did some testing on Linux from the chrome://accessibility debug page.
When we first query the accessibility tree of the view-source page, we
only get the root node, then Chromium starts eating up CPU and, upon
refresh, we eventually get the tree.

The generated tree has almost 97k lines! For comparison, the original
page has 12k and Chromium seems to cope much better with it. It looks
like a performance bug, in the end.

Could you report it to: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium ? I could
do it for you otherwise.

Best,
--
Jacobo Aragunde
Software Engineer at Igalia

Jacobo Aragunde Pérez

oläst,
22 apr. 2022 17:30:072022-04-22
till Chromium Accessibility, ja...@jasonjgw.net
Hi Jason,

I don't think it's a known issue. I cannot find it reported, at least.

I did some testing on Linux from the chrome://accessibility debug page. When we first query the accessibility tree of the view-source page, we only get the root node, then Chromium starts eating up CPU and, upon refresh, we eventually get the tree.

The generated tree has almost 97k lines! For comparison, the original page has 12k and Chromium seems to cope much better with it. It looks like a performance bug, in the end.

Could you report it to: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium ? I could do it for you otherwise.

PS: I'm pretty sure I replied, but I cannot see my mail posted so I'm re-sending it. Sorry if you are getting a duplicate!

Best,
--
Jacobo Aragunde
Software Engineer at Igalia

Mi Phone

oläst,
22 apr. 2022 17:30:102022-04-22
till Jason White, Jacobo Aragunde Pérez, Chromium Accessibility
Thanks for your email

Paweł Polak

oläst,
10 maj 2022 11:58:012022-05-10
till Chromium Accessibility, ja...@jasonjgw.net
Chomre wyrzuca mnie z internetu i nieodpowiednie treści o powodzie w chomre z internetu w stanie zapewnić wypełnia

Nektarios Paisios

oläst,
10 maj 2022 12:03:292022-05-10
till Chromium Accessibility, gyin...@gmail.com, jara...@igalia.com, Chromium Accessibility, ja...@jasonjgw.net
Hey, could you post the link to the bug that has been filed.
Please note that after testing I can use View Source on other pages, but on this particular one does not work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space
This looks like a performance bug on that particular page, given that the source is so large.
Cheers,
Nektarios.

Mi Phone

oläst,