Issue 1313298 in chromium: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU

reillyg via monorail

Apr 4, 2022, 9:07:46 PM4/4/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org
Owner: ----
CC: chromium-ac...@chromium.org
Labels: M-100
Components: OS>Accessibility
OS: Chrome
Pri: 2
Type: Bug

New issue 1313298 by rei...@chromium.org: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298

Chrome Version: 100.0.4896.54 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)
Lacros Version (if applicable): 100.0.4896.54 (Official Build) Lacros (64-bit)
OS: 14526.43.0 (Official Build) beta-channel drallion

I don't have any particular reproduction steps. After using the system for awhile I notice that it is hot and the fan is spinning. When I check Task Manager I find that the process "Extension: Accessibility Common" is using 100% CPU. If I manually terminate the process it is okay for a bit and then eventually returns. I am unable to find this extension in chrome://inspect/#extensions to inspect what it is doing.

1. You were specifically CC'd on the issue

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

reillyg via monorail

Apr 4, 2022, 9:38:26 PM4/4/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org

Comment #1 on issue 1313298 by rei...@chromium.org: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298#c1

The "Accessibility Common" extension is running because I have dictation enabled. Disabling dictation immediately kills the extension but re-enabling it doesn't immediately cause it to start consuming CPU again. Using the dictation feature also doesn't seem to trigger the issue.

josiahk via monorail

Apr 4, 2022, 9:40:30 PM4/4/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org

Comment #2 on issue 1313298 by jos...@google.com: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298#c2

Feedback report from reillyg@: https://listnr.corp.google.com/product/208/report/89721778882

josiahk via monorail

Apr 4, 2022, 9:41:09 PM4/4/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org
Updates:
Cc: akihi...@chromium.org
Components: -OS>Accessibility OS>Accessibility>Dictation

Comment #3 on issue 1313298 by jos...@google.com: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298#c3

@akihiroota would you be able to take a look?

josiahk via monorail

Apr 4, 2022, 9:41:34 PM4/4/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org

Comment #4 on issue 1313298 by jos...@google.com: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298#c4

josiahk via monorail

Apr 5, 2022, 1:07:38 PM4/5/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org

Comment #5 on issue 1313298 by jos...@google.com: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298#c5

@dtseng suggested we could enable debugging features on a consumer device - this might allow us to inspect and pause Accessibility Common extension on your machine:

"On devices in system dev-mode, the Welcome screen UI shows a link to enable Chrome OS system debugging features. Enabling the debugging features will install debugging tools on the Chrome OS device that are commonly present on Chrome OS test images only.
[...]
Ctrl + Alt + Shift + X - enable debugging features - available during OOBE only"

(go/chrome-os-oobe)

reillyg via monorail

Apr 5, 2022, 1:14:37 PM4/5/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org

Comment #6 on issue 1313298 by rei...@chromium.org: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298#c6

That requires a full system reset to enable.

akihiroota via monorail

Apr 5, 2022, 1:45:18 PM4/5/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org

Comment #7 on issue 1313298 by akihi...@chromium.org: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298#c7

Thanks for filing this issue Reilly. Josiah and I will try to reproduce this issue on our respective devices. I will test with only Dictation enabled and Josiah will test with only full screen magnifier enabled. If we both observe the issue, then that indicates that the issue resides somewhere in the larger accessibility common extension. However, if this issue only reproduces when using Dictation, that would indicate the issue is somewhere in Dictation.

akihiroota via monorail

Apr 5, 2022, 4:06:38 PM4/5/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org

Comment #8 on issue 1313298 by akihi...@chromium.org: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298#c8

I used my test device with Dictation for about 30 minutes today. I observed accessibility common using about 45% of the cpu when actively using Dictation and no more than 10% when dictation was idle.

Reilly, if you continue to observe this issue, it would be helpful to note some of the conditions on your device e.g. how many tabs do you have open, is there a specific site that is triggering the higher cpu usage, etc. At the moment without any concrete reproduction steps, it's hard to know what the underlying root issue is here.

reillyg via monorail

Apr 5, 2022, 4:25:05 PM4/5/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org

Comment #9 on issue 1313298 by rei...@chromium.org: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298#c9

I typically have about 10 tabs open on a variety of sites. It's obviously a little hard to bisect that while also getting work done but I'll try to pay closer attention to it and maybe I'll notice a pattern.

reillyg via monorail

Apr 5, 2022, 8:07:08 PM4/5/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org

Comment #10 on issue 1313298 by rei...@chromium.org: "Accessibility Common" extension using 100% CPU
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1313298#c10

I might have just hit this when I navigated to source.chromium.org but I'm still not able to reliably reproduce this.

emola via monorail

Apr 18, 2022, 4:08:33 PM4/18/22
to chromium-ac...@chromium.org
Updates: