INP Failed - CrUX Report showing different data

Eleonora Zamberlan

Mar 4, 2024, 12:00:57 PMMar 4
to Chrome UX Report (Discussions)
Hi all, first time writing here (so sorry if I'm just repeating something obvious or already seen)!

My company is experiencing quite the predicament:
On Pagespeed/GSC my INP score is mostly over 350ms, on my CrUX report is 275. Which is more in line?

On the other part, even though at first look my TBT, DOM size, Main thread and longtask are better than competitor, they're crushing INP (green light for them) while I don't see even a bit of results.
So, in general, where I can find the most benefits and should focus my dev efforts?

Thanks so much!
Ele

Barry Pollard

Mar 4, 2024, 12:36:35 PMMar 4
to Eleonora Zamberlan, Chrome UX Report (Discussions)
Hi Eleonora,

The first thing to check is what each tool is showing you.
  • PSI shows by URL (where available) and origin (where available) and for mobile and desktop.
  • GSC shows by page groupings.
  • I'm not sure what you mean by "my CrUX report" but the CrUX dashboard shows by mobile and desktop combined by default, but you can filter by either of these.
I suspect your mobile scores are lower (350), which is typical, and the merging of these in these in the CrUX dashboard is confusing you. Filter by mobile only and you should see similar numbers.

On the other part, even though at first look my TBT, DOM size, Main thread and longtask are better than competitor, they're crushing INP (green light for them) while I don't see even a bit of results.

While though can be good indicators towards potential problems, they may also not cause INP issues. If you do more on each click (e.g. track analytics), or in a more inefficient way, then two similar sites can have very different INP scores.

So, in general, where I can find the most benefits and should focus my dev efforts?

We have a wealth of information at https://web.dev/explore/how-to-optimize-inp as to how to tackle INP issues. Some of it can get quite detailed and technical however. For some more high-level advice for non-developers you can refer to https://web.dev/articles/optimize-cwv-business#first_input_delay_fid_and_interaction_to_next_paint_inp_issues

Thanks,
Barry