Web-Facing Change PSA: Rename position-try-options to position-try-fallbacks

Mason Freed

Jul 1, 2024, 6:38:50 PM (10 hours ago) Jul 1
to blink-dev

Contact emails

mas...@chromium.organd...@chromium.org

Specification

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/10395#issuecomment-2192127524

Summary

The CSSWG resolved to rename this property, because "fallbacks" more accurately describes what this property controls. The word "options" is a bit deceiving, since the styles outside of `position-try` blocks will be tested first, and if they result in a layout that fits within the containing block, none of the "options" will get used. So "fallbacks" is a better word to describe this behavior. https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/10395#issuecomment-2192127524

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Search tags

anchor positioning

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

This is a name change, which will result in the old name no longer functioning. So there is a risk of breakage. However, the anchor positioning feature was very recently shipped, and does not have implementation in other browsers. So we feel the risk is quite small currently, but will grow over time. Given that, we'd like to rename this property ASAP to avoid the risk getting too large. The use counter is currently quite low, around 0.01% in June: https://chromestatus.com/metrics/css/timeline/popularity/784 An HTTP Archive search was performed, which showed that almost all usage comes from one Shopify CSS file (`spec-and-compare.css`), and we intend to reach out to Shopify (or hope for a response from one very special Blink API owner) to make sure this will not break Shopify.

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes

Yes

https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-anchor-position

Flag name on chrome://flags

None

Finch feature name

None

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/349600667

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop128
Shipping on Android128
Shipping on WebView128

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

None

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5167414571696128?gate=5182169462079488

Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)

2:48 AM (2 hours ago) 2:48 AM
to blink-dev, Mason Freed

On Tuesday, July 2, 2024 at 12:38:50 AM UTC+2 Mason Freed wrote:
[...]

"very special" :)

It seems like the source of usage is this 3P app: https://apps.shopify.com/spec-compare
I'll send you their contact email so that you can reach out to them directly.

Can you share the HTTP Archive analysis? Manual inspection of the hosts listed in the chromestatus counter didn't reveal much on my end.

Beyond that, I think this would require an intent and maybe a short deprecation period. Even if the only source is this single app, unless the breakage is insignificant, we'd need at least one release overlap between the new and the old values, to avoid a breakage period while users are upgrading from Chromium N to N+1.

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?Yes

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests?Yes