Intent to Prototype and Ship: Support visual-box on overflow-clip-margin

93 views
Skip to first unread message

Khushal Sagar

unread,
May 2, 2022, 5:52:56 PMMay 2
to blink-dev, Vladimir Levin

Contact emails

khusha...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/shared-element-transitions/blob/main/overflow_on_replaced_elements.md

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow/#overflow-clip-margin

Summary

overflow-clip-margin specifies how far an element's content is allowed to paint before being clipped. This feature allows using visual-box values to configure the reference box that defines the overflow clip edge the content is clipped to.


Blink component

Blink>CSS

TAG review

The TAG review for the overflow-clip-margin property is here: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/579

TAG review status

Issues addressed

Risks


Interoperability and Compatibility

The feature has been reviewed and accepted by the cross-browser CSSWG.


Gecko: In development (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1661582)

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?


The feature supports a new keyword for an existing CSS property. There is no high risk for WebView.


Debuggability

No additional changes needed. overflow-clip-margin already surfaces in the devtools style panel.


Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests?

Yes

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1320869

Estimated milestones

M103

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

N/A

Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Status

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5082351989161984

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Emilio Cobos Álvarez

unread,
May 2, 2022, 6:44:38 PMMay 2
to blin...@chromium.org
On 5/2/22 23:52, Khushal Sagar wrote:
> Gecko: In development
> (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1661582
> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1661582>)

We're not opposed to this feature, but having a bug on file isn't quite
the same as in development :)

-- Emilio
OpenPGP_0xE1152D0994E4BF8A.asc

Khushal Sagar

unread,
May 3, 2022, 10:56:03 AMMay 3
to Emilio Cobos Álvarez, blink-dev
Fair point, thanks for clarifying the position. Here is the Mozilla RFP issue for posterity (also updated on the chromestatus dashboard).
 

  -- Emilio

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+...@chromium.org.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/47162448-0264-c16d-636e-6e58213aa83e%40mozilla.com.

Yoav Weiss

unread,
May 4, 2022, 6:12:27 AMMay 4
to blink-dev, Khushal Sagar, Vladimir Levin
On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 11:52:56 PM UTC+2 Khushal Sagar wrote:

Contact emails

khusha...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/shared-element-transitions/blob/main/overflow_on_replaced_elements.md

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow/#overflow-clip-margin

Summary

overflow-clip-margin specifies how far an element's content is allowed to paint before being clipped. This feature allows using visual-box values to configure the reference box that defines the overflow clip edge the content is clipped to.


Blink component

Blink>CSS

TAG review

The TAG review for the overflow-clip-margin property is here: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/579

TAG review status

Issues addressed


The TAG seem unhappy with this, and it doesn't seem like their concerns were addressed.



Risks


Interoperability and Compatibility

The feature has been reviewed and accepted by the cross-browser CSSWG.


Gecko: In development (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1661582)

WebKit: No signal


Can we ask for a signal?
 


Web developers: No signals


Similarly, can you try to get signals here? https://goo.gle/developer-signals

Khushal Sagar

unread,
May 4, 2022, 11:22:28 AMMay 4
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Khushal Sagar, Vladimir Levin
Thanks for the review Yoav. Responses inline.

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 6:12 AM Yoav Weiss <yoav...@chromium.org> wrote:


On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 11:52:56 PM UTC+2 Khushal Sagar wrote:

Contact emails

khusha...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/shared-element-transitions/blob/main/overflow_on_replaced_elements.md

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow/#overflow-clip-margin

Summary

overflow-clip-margin specifies how far an element's content is allowed to paint before being clipped. This feature allows using visual-box values to configure the reference box that defines the overflow clip edge the content is clipped to.


Blink component

Blink>CSS

TAG review

The TAG review for the overflow-clip-margin property is here: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/579

TAG review status

Issues addressed


The TAG seem unhappy with this, and it doesn't seem like their concerns were addressed.

The remaining concerns raised by TAG on that thread were about overflow:clip (which already shipped in Chrome and Firefox) so I wasn't sure if those are relevant for this intent.
 



Risks


Interoperability and Compatibility

The feature has been reviewed and accepted by the cross-browser CSSWG.


Gecko: In development (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1661582)

WebKit: No signal


Can we ask for a signal?

Sure, I've sent an RFP for this here.
 
 


Web developers: No signals


Similarly, can you try to get signals here? https://goo.gle/developer-signals

The bug which motivated this addition is here (referenced in the CSSWG issue). This bug is starred by 12 users, could we use that as a positive signal?

Daniel Bratell

unread,
May 18, 2022, 9:16:41 AMMay 18
to Khushal Sagar, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Vladimir Levin

LGTM1

It is a bit confusing with the TAG review mostly being negative, but I think they didn't object to this particular part. Furthermore, it seems useful, it's been reviewed and approved by the CSS working group and though Mozilla's position is not official yet, they seem to agree that this is a useful addition.

/Daniel

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+...@chromium.org.

Mike Taylor

unread,
May 18, 2022, 9:28:06 AMMay 18
to Daniel Bratell, Khushal Sagar, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Vladimir Levin

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

unread,
May 18, 2022, 11:42:38 AMMay 18
to Mike Taylor, Daniel Bratell, Khushal Sagar, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Vladimir Levin
LGTM3

On 18/05/2022 15:27, Mike Taylor wrote:
> LGTM2
>
> On 5/18/22 9:16 AM, Daniel Bratell wrote:
>>
>> LGTM1
>>
>> It is a bit confusing with the TAG review mostly being negative, but I
>> think they didn't object to this particular part. Furthermore, it
>> seems useful, it's been reviewed and approved by the CSS working group
>> and though Mozilla's position is not official yet, they seem to agree
>> that this is a useful addition.
>>
>> /Daniel
>>
>> On 2022-05-04 17:22, Khushal Sagar wrote:
>>> Thanks for the review Yoav. Responses inline.
>>>
>>> On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 6:12 AM Yoav Weiss <yoav...@chromium.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 11:52:56 PM UTC+2 Khushal Sagar wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Contact emails
>>>
>>>
>>> khusha...@chromium.org
>>>
>>>
>>> Explainer
>>>
>>>
>>> https://github.com/WICG/shared-element-transitions/blob/main/overflow_on_replaced_elements.md
>>>
>>>
>>> Specification
>>>
>>>
>>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow/#overflow-clip-margin
>>>
>>>
>>> Summary
>>>
>>>
>>> overflow-clip-margin specifies how far an element's
>>> content is allowed to paint before being clipped.
>>> This feature allows using visual-box
>>> <https://drafts.csswg.org/css-box-4/#typedef-visual-box>
>>> values to configure the reference box that defines
>>> the overflow clip edge the content is clipped to.
>>>
>>>
>>> Blink component
>>>
>>>
>>> Blink>CSS
>>> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3ECSS>
>>>
>>>
>>> TAG review
>>>
>>>
>>> The TAG review for the overflow-clip-margin property
>>> is
>>> here: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/579
>>>
>>>
>>> TAG review status
>>>
>>>
>>> Issues addressed
>>>
>>>
>>> The TAG seem unhappy with this
>>> <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/579#issuecomment-918681465>,
>>> and it doesn't seem like their concerns were addressed.
>>>
>>>
>>> The remaining concerns raised by TAG on that thread were about
>>> overflow:clip (which already shipped in Chrome and Firefox) so I
>>> wasn't sure if those are relevant for this intent.
>>>  
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Risks
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Interoperability and Compatibility
>>>
>>>
>>> The feature has been reviewed and accepted by the
>>> cross-browser CSSWG.
>>>
>>>
>>> Gecko: In development
>>> (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1661582)
>>>
>>> WebKit: No signal
>>>
>>>
>>> Can we ask for a signal?
>>>
>>>
>>> Sure, I've sent an RFP for this here
>>> <https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2022-May/032215.html>.
>>>  
>>>
>>>  
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Web developers: No signals
>>>
>>>
>>> Similarly, can you try to get signals here?
>>> https://goo.gle/developer-signals
>>>
>>>
>>> The bug which motivated this addition is here
>>> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=99364> (referenced
>>> in the CSSWG issue
>>> <https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5801>). This bug is
>>> starred by 12 users, could we use that as a positive signal?
>>>  
>>>
>>>  
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Other signals:
>>>
>>>
>>> WebView application risks
>>>
>>>
>>> Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of
>>> existing APIs, such that it has potentially high risk
>>> for Android WebView-based applications?
>>>
>>>
>>> The feature supports a new keyword for an existing
>>> CSS property. There is no high risk for WebView.
>>>
>>>
>>> Debuggability
>>>
>>>
>>> No additional changes needed. overflow-clip-margin
>>> already surfaces in the devtools style panel.
>>>
>>>
>>> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
>>> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?
>>>
>>>
>>> Yes
>>>
>>>
>>> Requires code in //chrome?
>>>
>>>
>>> False
>>>
>>>
>>> Tracking bug
>>>
>>>
>>> https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1320869
>>>
>>>
>>> Estimated milestones
>>>
>>> M103
>>>
>>>
>>> Anticipated spec changes
>>>
>>>
>>> Open questions about a feature may be a source of
>>> future web compat or interop issues. Please list open
>>> issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the
>>> project for the feature specification) whose
>>> resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk
>>> (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in
>>> a non-backward-compatible way).
>>>
>>> N/A
>>>
>>>
>>> Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Status
>>>
>>>
>>> https://chromestatus.com/feature/5082351989161984
>>>
>>> This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform
>>> Status <https://chromestatus.com/>.
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>> Groups "blink-dev" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>>> send an email to blink-dev+...@chromium.org.
>>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAMLuWUwwqEfXtxqvPHiCm831%3DO5xcgFeZc8Jnc7Z1jvHe-YFkg%40mail.gmail.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAMLuWUwwqEfXtxqvPHiCm831%3DO5xcgFeZc8Jnc7Z1jvHe-YFkg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "blink-dev" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>> an email to blink-dev+...@chromium.org.
>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/2ec3a0d7-de12-2cb2-450e-42eb5c240e08%40gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/2ec3a0d7-de12-2cb2-450e-42eb5c240e08%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "blink-dev" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to blink-dev+...@chromium.org
> <mailto:blink-dev+...@chromium.org>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/86a85098-0acc-6446-a506-194e23f655a8%40chromium.org
> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/86a85098-0acc-6446-a506-194e23f655a8%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages