Intent to Prototype: MediaRecorderErrorEvent API

Imranur Rahman

Jan 12, 2022, 11:59:53 AM1/12/22
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

ir.s...@gmail.com

Explainer

None

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-record/#errorevent-section

Summary

MediaRecorderErrorEvent is fired when Media Recording API faces an error. This API will enable developers to debug more conveniently when an exception occurs in Media Recording API. MediaRecorderErrorEvent will provide further details about the error with a DOMException object. BUG: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1250432 SPEC: https://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-record/#errorevent-section

Blink component

Blink>MediaRecording

Motivation

The main motivation is that currently Chromium fires a plain event, whereas if this feature is implemented the developers will have more knowledge about the occurred error in Media Recording API and debug conveniently.

Initial public proposal

TAG review

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Debuggability

No

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1250432

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5103987136135168

Domenic Denicola

Jan 12, 2022, 12:06:10 PM1/12/22
to Imranur Rahman, blin...@chromium.org
This seems like a problematic specification. They should just use ErrorEvent, instead of creating a new class that is basically identical. I have filed https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-record/issues/211 and hope we can go that route instead.

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 19, 2022, 11:37:55 AM1/19/22
to Domenic Denicola, Imranur Rahman, blink-dev
Good catch, thanks Domenic!

Dom put up https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-record/pull/212 to change the spec here.

Imranur, once the spec change is made, I would suggest sending an Intent to Ship. An Intent to Prototype is for when you want to implement something behind a flag, but not ship it yet.

Best regards,
Philip

Imranur Rahman

Jan 19, 2022, 11:46:47 AM1/19/22
to blink-dev, Philip Jägenstedt, Imranur Rahman, blink-dev, dom...@chromium.org
Great, thanks. I am waiting for the spec modification.