Intent to Extend Experiment: Soft Navigation Heuristics

Ian Clelland

Jan 22, 2024, 4:01:14 PMJan 22

None

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/854)

WebKit: No signal (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/235)

Web developers: Strongly positive https://github.com/WICG/proposals/issues/71#issuecomment-1325856231 https://twitter.com/yoavweiss/status/1575191332775026688

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Goals for experimentation

Reason this experiment is being extended

We are still collecting feedback from partners, who are evaluating the suitability of this API to replace existing ad-hoc methods of measuring soft navigations, including some who were only recently able to start experimenting. Additionally, we have made changes to the heuristics, in response to testing and feedback, to eliminate some false-positive detections, and better match the behaviour of real-world single-page apps. Some of these changes initially went out in Chrome 120, and were refined in Chrome 121; some will be released with Chrome 122. We'd like to give developers a chance to experiment with these changes, to help inform any future adjustments that need to be made. After Chrome 123, we intend to pause the experiment while we act on all of the feedback, and decide whether further changes to the heuristics are necessary, or if the API is in good enough shape to consider shipping.

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Debuggability

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

No

Yes

Flag name on chrome://flags

None

Finch feature name

SoftNavigationHeuristics

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1338390

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last123
OriginTrial desktop first117
OriginTrial Android last123
OriginTrial Android first117
OriginTrial webView last123
OriginTrial webView first117

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5144837209194496

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAL5BFfV3qRFx0i-eGJFSzqE8bnbX8XYJCvXAj0LfvO0icPo_jA%40mail.gmail.com Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAL5BFfUb_Gn_5gGy8SnChg5KH2JN57Gv0NhnHN7Q_kH0Aa17CQ%40mail.gmail.com
Intent to Extend Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAL5BFfULP5d3fNCAqeO2gLP56R3HCytmaNk%2B9kpYsC2dj4%3DqoQ%40mail.gmail.com
Intent to Ship: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAL5BFfULP5d3fNCAqeO2gLP56R3HCytmaNk%2B9kpYsC2dj4%3DqoQ%40mail.gmail.com

Mike Taylor

Jan 23, 2024, 3:15:42 PMJan 23