Intent to Ship: Protected Audience Ad slot size in real-time bidding signals fetch and update more interest group fields

Paul Jensen

Jan 5, 2024, 1:05:21 PMJan 5
to blink-dev

Contact emails

paulj...@chromium.org

Explainer

Ad slot size in real-time bidding signals fetch: https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/928

Update more interest group fields: Already covered by explainer

Specification

Ad slot size in real-time bidding signals fetch: https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/954

Update more interest group fields: https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/907 https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/953

Summary

Ad slot size in real-time bidding signals fetch:

Protected Audience ad selection auctions allow buyers to fetch real-time signals from their key-value server.  Besides being used for calculating bid prices, these signals can also be used for prioritizing and filtering potential ad candidates.  The more ad candidate filtration and prioritization that we can enable, the more performant the auction is (e.g. less browser resource utilization) and the higher the quality of the chosen ad candidates is.  This feature extends the signals about the page where the ad will be displayed from just its domain name, to also include the size of the ad slots on the page, which is a very useful signal for filtering out ads that cannot be rendered in that slot size.

Allow updating interest group’s userBiddingSignals and executionMode:

Protected Audience has always supported updating interest group fields, but for historical reasons did not support updating the interest group field named userBiddingSignals, and for no obvious reason did not support updating executionMode. This change is a small extension to Protected Audience interest group updating to support updating these fields, making the API more useful by being able to update/refresh the fields with more up to date information.

Blink component

Blink>InterestGroups

TAG review

The parent proposal, Protected Audience, is still pending: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/723

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

These are both optional new features so we do not expect them to cause compatibility breakage.

Gecko & WebKit: No signal on parent proposal, Protected Audience.  Asked in the Mozilla forum here, and in the Webkit forum here.

Web developers:

Ad slot size in real-time bidding signals fetch: Interest from multiple adtechs here.

Update more interest group fields: Interest from adtech here.

Debuggability

Ad slot size in real-time bidding signals fetch: The extra runAdAuction() and joinAdInterestGroup() parameters should be visible in DevTools, as should the real-time bidding signal fetches in the DevTools network panel.

Update more interest group fields: The updates should be visible in DevTools’ Application Storage Interest Group section.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

It will be supported on all platforms that support Protected Audience, so all but WebView.

We plan to land web-platform-tests for both features shortly.  Some have already landed.

Flag name on chrome://flags

None

Finch feature name

EnableIFrameAdAuctionHeaders, EnableUpdatingExecutionModeToFrozenContext, EnableUpdatingUserBiddingSignals

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop and Android in M121.

Anticipated spec changes

None related to these features.

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5090856430469120

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Rick Byers

Jan 10, 2024, 10:24:56 AMJan 10
to Paul Jensen, blink-dev
Hi Paul,
This looks like a minor addition to me. My only concern is that this spec PR hasn't been reviewed yet, and we generally prefer for all tests to land before approval. Would it be reasonable to get those done before we approve this?

Thanks,
   Rick

Paul Jensen

Jan 24, 2024, 10:02:04 AMJan 24
to Rick Byers, blink-dev
That spec PR has now been reviewed and approved by the Protected Audience team and our spec mentor.  Once a couple nits are addressed, I imagine it'll land shortly.

Rick Byers

Jan 24, 2024, 10:10:45 AMJan 24
to Paul Jensen, blink-dev
Great, thank you! Yep, looks like the PR is about to land to me, I'm satisfied. LGTM1

Domenic Denicola

Jan 24, 2024, 8:29:43 PMJan 24
to Paul Jensen, blink-dev
On Sat, Jan 6, 2024 at 3:05 AM Paul Jensen <paulj...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

It appears the TAG responded to this review on 2023-11-28, but nobody has answered their questions yet. Could you do so?

Mike Taylor

Jan 25, 2024, 1:24:12 PMJan 25
to Rick Byers, Paul Jensen, blink-dev

Paul Jensen

Domenic Denicola

Jan 25, 2024, 8:26:51 PMJan 25
to Paul Jensen, Domenic Denicola, blink-dev
LGTM3