Intent to Prototype: Gamepad API vibration on Android 12+

Matt Reynolds

Jun 28, 2022, 2:50:58 PM6/28/22
to blink-dev

Contact emails

mattre...@google.com

Specification

https://github.com/w3c/gamepad/pull/163

Summary

Enable support for Gamepad API dual-rumble effects through the VibrationManager API added in Android 12.

Blink component

Blink>GamepadAPI

Search tags

gamepad, haptics, vibration, rumble, android

TAG review

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Goals for experimentation

The Chrome team has a limited number of gamepads and Android devices to test with. Implementing this feature behind a flag will enable us to manually test a wider range of devices.

Debuggability

DevTools

Yes, it is already implemented on desktop Blink platforms.

No, this feature cannot be tested using automated tests because it relies on gamepad-specific behavior that can't be mocked.

Flag name

chrome://flags/#enable-android-gamepad-vibration

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1338644

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5144383549079552

Thomas Steiner

Jun 29, 2022, 6:55:47 AM6/29/22
to Matt Reynolds, blink-dev
On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 8:50 PM Matt Reynolds <mattre...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

Could you share a list of compatible gamepads?

Debuggability

DevTools

Yes, it is already implemented on desktop Blink platforms.

No, this feature cannot be tested using automated tests because it relies on gamepad-specific behavior that can't be mocked.

Flag name

chrome://flags/#enable-android-gamepad-vibration

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1338644

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5144383549079552

Thomas Steiner, PhD—Developer Relations Engineer (https://blog.tomayac.comhttps://twitter.com/tomayac)

Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Liana Sebastian

Matt Reynolds

Jun 29, 2022, 5:31:21 PM6/29/22
to Thomas Steiner, blink-dev
Compatibility depends on Android's support which isn't documented. The Android implementation relies on a compatible Linux driver exposing the FF_RUMBLE feature. I've tested a Sony DualShock 4 and a Microsoft Xbox 360 wired controller, both worked. I would expect all of these to work based on the current state of Linux gamepad drivers:

Microsoft Xbox 360 compatible gamepads
Microsoft Xbox One compatible gamepads when connected over USB (but not over Bluetooth)
Official Sony PlayStation 3, 4, 5 gamepads over USB or Bluetooth (but not third party PlayStation compatible gamepads)
Official Nintendo Switch gamepads over USB or Bluetooth (but not third party Switch compatible gamepads)

These devices are handled by the xpad, hid-playstation, hid-sony, and hid-nintendo drivers.

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/input/joystick/xpad.c
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hid/hid-playstation.c
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hid/hid-sony.c
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hid/hid-nintendo.c

Thomas Steiner

Jun 30, 2022, 3:45:09 AM6/30/22
to Matt Reynolds, Thomas Steiner, blink-dev
On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 11:31 PM Matt Reynolds <mattre...@chromium.org> wrote:
[...]

Brilliant, thanks for the detailed info. Will give it a try on my Joy-Cons and my old Xbox 360 controllers!

Rik Cabanier

May 16, 2023, 8:23:15 PM5/16/23
to Matt Reynolds, Thomas Steiner, blink-dev
were there any updates on this list? I just tried this on a pixel 6a and the haptics worked to an XBox controller over bluetooth