[blink-dev] Intent to Prototype: Standardize existing client hint naming

Ari Chivukula

Aug 9, 2021, 2:20:48 PM8/9/21
to blink-dev, Jade Kessler, Mike Taylor

Contact emails

ari...@chromium.org, jadek...@chromium.org, mike...@chromium.org

Design Doc

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yhVLyEIpDhhDQf698WkvXBiPcLwxEgCBI4o1FjvXwfM/edit

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/client-hints-infrastructure/

https://wicg.github.io/responsive-image-client-hints/

https://wicg.github.io/savedata/#save-data-request-header-field

https://wicg.github.io/netinfo/#networkinformation-interface

Summary

This proposal seeks to align our implementation with the Client Hint proposal by adding the `sec-ch-` prefix where it’s missing.

Blink component

Privacy>Fingerprinting

Motivation

Client Hints, a method to request information about the user's device or conditions, have been implemented in Chrome, but since the initial implementation the naming scheme has changed. If implemented, this proposal would add new client hints with a `sec-ch-` prefix to re-implement the following: `dpr`, `width`, `viewport-width`, `device-memory`, `rtt`, `downlink`, and `ect`.

TAG review

Not needed

Risks

Only Blink implements client hints and we are not (yet) removing any current ones, just re-implementing existing ones under the correct name. If usage permits, we will remove the legacy names in the future.

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Client hints not implemented

WebKit: Client hints not implemented

Web developers: Positive interest from Cloudinary

Yes

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1227043

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/6658223894429696

Mike Taylor

Aug 18, 2021, 1:10:49 PM8/18/21
to blink-dev, Jade Kessler, Ari Chivukula
This I2P seems to have fallen through the cracks (understandably lots of vacation happening this month).
Any thoughts from API owners?

Joshua Bell

Aug 18, 2021, 1:23:11 PM8/18/21
to Mike Taylor, blink-dev, Jade Kessler, Ari Chivukula
I2Ps don't need any LGTMs. Was there specific feedback you were looking for?

Mike Taylor

Aug 18, 2021, 1:27:45 PM8/18/21
to Joshua Bell, blink-dev, Jade Kessler, Ari Chivukula
Heh, no I just confused myself by reviewing a different I2P&S just before sending this. Apologies to the list.

~these are not the LGTMs you are looking for hand wave~