Intent to Ship: CSS Root Font Units: 'rex', 'rch', 'ric', 'rlh'

Daniil Sakhapov

Jan 6, 2023, 9:02:30 AM1/6/23
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

sakh...@chromium.org

Specification

https://www.w3.org/TR/css-values-4/#font-relative-lengths

Summary

Allows usage of root font units. Currently only 'rem' is supported in Blink. This feature supports root element variants of ex, ch, ic, and lh too.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Search tags

rlhricrchrexroot font

TAG review

The feature is not fundamental and only implements an existing standard

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/725)

WebKit: No signal (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/112)

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

no

Debuggability

The new units should be automatically supported by devtools. No need for any changes.

Yes

Yes

Flag name

#enable-experimental-web-platform-features / CSSNewRootFontUnits (Blink)

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1381037

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop111
DevTrial on Android111

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5073969265246208

Mike Taylor

Jan 6, 2023, 1:48:28 PM1/6/23
to Daniil Sakhapov, blin...@chromium.org
On 1/5/23 5:07 AM, 'Daniil Sakhapov' via blink-dev wrote:

Contact emails

sakh...@chromium.org

Specification

https://www.w3.org/TR/css-values-4/#font-relative-lengths

Summary

Allows usage of root font units. Currently only 'rem' is supported in Blink. This feature supports root element variants of ex, ch, ic, and lh too.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Search tags

rlhricrchrexroot font

TAG review

The feature is not fundamental and only implements an existing standard

Note that CSS Values and Units Level 4 is not yet a standard, but a working draft.

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 10, 2023, 5:12:06 AM1/10/23
to Mike Taylor, Daniil Sakhapov, blin...@chromium.org
I see the Gecko issue has now been resolved as positive, which is great.

Are any of these units already supported in Firefox or Safari, or would we be the first to ship all of them? (I took a look at one test and have a guess, but just as well to ask.)

Daniil Sakhapov

Jan 12, 2023, 11:23:49 AM1/12/23
to Philip Jägenstedt, Mike Taylor, blin...@chromium.org
Safari has claimed to implement rlh, but nothing else I guess. None of them are in Firefox.

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 13, 2023, 10:12:02 AM1/13/23
to Daniil Sakhapov, Mike Taylor, blin...@chromium.org
I see, thanks for checking that! It’s worth checking that our test results match other browsers who have implemented, in case they can reveal different choices or interpretations of the spec.

LGTM1

Rick Byers

Jan 13, 2023, 10:28:52 AM1/13/23
to Philip Jägenstedt, Daniil Sakhapov, Mike Taylor, blin...@chromium.org