Ready for Trial: Focusgroup

Benjamin Beaudry

Apr 26, 2022, 6:45:33 PM4/26/22
to blin...@chromium.org, Travis Leithead, Daniel Libby

Summary

The Focusgroup feature will facilitate keyboard focus navigation using the keyboard arrow keys among a set of focusable elements.

Blink component

Blink>DOM

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/631) Pending

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: Positive

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications? No.

Goals for experimentation

Test out the current design of the "focugroup" attribute and get feedback from developers to eventually guide spec development. We are working with UX teams at Microsoft that plan on building on top of this feature and we expect feedback from them and welcome feedback from the entire web community.

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Debuggability

Dev tools error logging is supported for various invalid combinations of focusgroup values in HTML.

No. It requires a keyboard with directional arrows, so it won't work on mobile/touch devices deprived of such keys.

Yes (well, 2 out 3 of my CLs converting blink unit tests into web platform tests have been approved to merge and will soon. The third one will follow this week as well)

Flag name

--enable-blink-features=Focusgroup

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1286127

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5637601087193088

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/BL0PR00MB0820DFE66371FEA5743EA92F9B529%40BL0PR00MB0820.namprd00.prod.outlook.com

Yoav Weiss

Apr 27, 2022, 1:59:11 AM4/27/22
to Benjamin Beaudry, blin...@chromium.org, Travis Leithead, Daniel Libby
On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 12:45 AM 'Benjamin Beaudry' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:

Summary

The Focusgroup feature will facilitate keyboard focus navigation using the keyboard arrow keys among a set of focusable elements.

Blink component

Blink>DOM

TAG review

Seems worthwhile to start a TAG review for this.

Benjamin Beaudry

Apr 27, 2022, 11:29:10 AM4/27/22
to Yoav Weiss, blin...@chromium.org, Travis Leithead, Daniel Libby
My apologies, I forgot to add the link to the TAG Review request: Early design review: Focusgroup · Issue #732 · w3ctag/design-reviews (github.com)

Thanks for catching that, Yoav.

Apr 27, 2022, 12:01:35 PM4/27/22
to Benjamin Beaudry, blin...@chromium.org, Travis Leithead, Daniel Libby
On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 6:45 PM 'Benjamin Beaudry' via blink-dev
<blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?
>
> No. It requires a keyboard with directional arrows, so it won't work on mobile/touch devices deprived of such keys.

Just curious -- will this work on Android if I plug in a keyboard into
my phone/tablet? (I.e. is this blocked by an #ifdef, or just an effect
of not normally getting keyboard events)

Christian

Benjamin Beaudry

Apr 27, 2022, 12:22:11 PM4/27/22
to Christian Biesinger, blin...@chromium.org, Travis Leithead, Daniel Libby
No #ifdef, just physical limitations. You are free to try it out today if you want!