Intent to Ship: EyeDropper API

Ionel Popescu

Aug 13, 2021, 1:04:09 PM8/13/21
to blin...@chromium.org, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com

Contact emails

iopo...@microsoft.com, pc...@microsoft.com

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/eyedropper-api/blob/main/README.md

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/eyedropper-api/

API spec

Yes

Summary

The EyeDropper API enables developers to use a browser-supplied eyedropper in the construction of custom color pickers.

Blink component

Blink>Forms>Color

TAG review

TAG review status

Issues addressed

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

The new API can be feature-detected by checking for the existence of the EyeDropper interface on the window object. On browsers without support, web apps can invoke the full color picker programmatically.

Chrome: Public support

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: Positive

·         https://github.com/WICG/proposals/issues/35

·         https://twitter.com/argyleink/status/1291056673348415489

Debuggability

No special support is needed.

Yes, to the extent that it can be.

Flag name

EyeDropperAPI

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=897309

https://chromestatus.com/feature/6304275594477568

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/cPTMI1i6d7I

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Yoav Weiss

Aug 26, 2021, 4:14:28 AM8/26/21
to blink-dev, Ionel Popescu, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com
LGTM1

This seems like a useful API, that can help users perform creative tasks that are impossible on the web today. (or require the user to jump through hoops)
Looking forward to this being able to represent the actual colors picked, once a `Color` object becomes a real boy.

On Friday, August 13, 2021 at 7:04:09 PM UTC+2 Ionel Popescu wrote:

Contact emails

iopo...@microsoft.com, pc...@microsoft.com

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/eyedropper-api/blob/main/README.md

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/eyedropper-api/

API spec

Yes

Summary

The EyeDropper API enables developers to use a browser-supplied eyedropper in the construction of custom color pickers.

Blink component

Blink>Forms>Color

TAG review

Great feedback from the TAG!! Thanks for addressing it.

Chris Harrelson

Aug 26, 2021, 1:04:08 PM8/26/21
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Ionel Popescu, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com
LGTM2

Mike West

Aug 26, 2021, 3:08:28 PM8/26/21
to Chris Harrelson, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Ionel Popescu, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com
LGTM3. I'm particularly happy with the way this evolved after excellent feedback from our colleagues in the TAG. Thank you!

-mike

Yoav Weiss

Aug 27, 2021, 9:23:51 AM8/27/21
to blink-dev, Mike West, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Ionel Popescu, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com, Chris Harrelson
One question that came up (and that should've been included in the template): Will this be supported on all platforms?

LGTM2

Stephen McGruer

Aug 27, 2021, 9:53:13 AM8/27/21
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Mike West, blink-dev, Ionel Popescu, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com, Chris Harrelson
> One question that came up (and that should've been included in the template): Will this be supported on all platforms?

FYI: This appears to be a problem with Chromestatus-generated I2Ss, I think (as I noticed the same for SPC just now), so I filed https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chromium-dashboard/issues/1498

Yoav Weiss

Aug 27, 2021, 10:42:10 AM8/27/21
to Stephen McGruer, blink-dev, Mike West, Ionel Popescu, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com, Chris Harrelson
Thanks for filing that, Stephen! :)

LGTM2

Ionel Popescu

Aug 27, 2021, 1:35:33 PM8/27/21
to blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, blink-dev, Mike West, Ionel Popescu, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com, Chris Harrelson, smcg...@chromium.org

On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 9:23:51 AM UTC-4 Yoav Weiss wrote:
One question that came up (and that should've been included in the template): Will this be supported on all platforms?

Thanks for pointing this out! I have added the missing information.
Initially, we are planning to support this only on desktop operating systems and will consider bringing it to mobile if there is demand.

一丝

Aug 31, 2021, 4:32:01 AM8/31/21
to blink-dev, Ionel Popescu, yoav...@chromium.org, blink-dev, Mike West, Ionel Popescu, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com, Chris Harrelson, smcg...@chromium.org

I plan to migrate the color picker in Chrome Devtools to the EyeDropper API, but there are currently several problems:

  1. There is no independent cursor on the left side of the magnifying glass (the magnifying glass will cover the content at the bottom of the screen, making it difficult to move the cursor)
  2. It is not possible to continuously click to select the color.
  3. macOS pre 10.15 magnifying glass is square(see bug 1130415).

画板@2x.png

Ionel Popescu

Sep 1, 2021, 11:58:17 AM9/1/21
to blink-dev, 一丝, Ionel Popescu, yoav...@chromium.org, blink-dev, Mike West, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com, Chris Harrelson, smcg...@chromium.org
On Tuesday, 31 August 2021 at 01:32:01 UTC-7 一丝 wrote:

I plan to migrate the color picker in Chrome Devtools to the EyeDropper API, but there are currently several problems:

 Thanks yiorsi@ for the work to integrate the new EyeDropper API into the devtools color picker! I have followed up on the opened crbugs and github issue.

Anne van Kesteren

Sep 23, 2021, 8:13:32 AM9/23/21
to Ionel Popescu, blin...@chromium.org, Bo Cupp, jsb...@google.com
On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 7:04 PM 'Ionel Popescu' via blink-dev
<blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
> https://wicg.github.io/eyedropper-api/

It seems some security issues were opened against this document post
LGTMs. And after these issues were raised there hasn't been a lot of
activity on the repository which makes me wonder what is going on.
Does anyone know?