Intent to Remove: TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1

Christopher Thompson

Jan 24, 2020, 5:14:41 PM1/24/20
to blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
davi...@chromium.org,cth...@chromium.org N/A Specification: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-00 https://security.googleblog.com/2018/10/modernizing-transport-security.html
https://blog.chromium.org/2019/10/chrome-ui-for-deprecating-legacy-tls.html N/A TLS 1.0 and 1.1 were deprecated in Chrome 72 with a planned removal in Chrome 81 (in early 2020). Other browsers are also removing support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 at this time. Previously, we showed a deprecation warning in DevTools. In M-79, Chrome marked affected sites as "Not Secure". In M-81, Chrome will show a full page interstitial warning on sites that do not support TLS 1.2 or higher. Yes Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android will show an interstitial warning. Android WebView will see this as an SSL error, but SSL errors are handled by the embedder (the default behavior is to cancel the request). No N/A https://chromestatus.com/feature/5759116003770368

Mounir Lamouri

Jan 24, 2020, 5:25:50 PM1/24/20
to Christopher Thompson, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
Usually, deprecations/removals, come with a % of page load using the feature. Is this something that can be shared? Also, which browsers are dropping TLS 1.0 and 1.1 support?

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 14:14, Christopher Thompson <cth...@chromium.org> wrote:
[...]

Christopher Thompson

Jan 24, 2020, 5:32:05 PM1/24/20
to Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
Hi Mounir -- The full Chrome Status form took in a lot of detail that it appears to not show.... Let me share the full details here:

Summary
TLS 1.0 and 1.1 were deprecated in Chrome 72 with a planned removal in Chrome 81 (in early 2020). Other browsers are also removing support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 at this time. Previously, we showed a deprecation warning in DevTools. In M-79, Chrome marked affected sites as "Not Secure". In M-81, Chrome will show a full page interstitial warning on sites that do not support TLS 1.2 or higher.

Motivation
TLS 1.2 was published ten years ago to address weaknesses in TLS 1.0 and 1.1 and has enjoyed wide adoption since then. These old versions of TLS rely on MD5 and SHA-1, both now broken, and contain other flaws. TLS 1.0 is no longer PCI-DSS compliant and the TLS working group has adopted a document to deprecate TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risks
As of January 1, we still saw 0.3% of main frame page loads using TLS 1.0 or 1.1. This is down significantly from 0.68% back in January 2019. We are optimistic that our current efforts in M-79/80 will increase the visibility of this change to get more sites to update.

For more details, you can track these public metrics:
Affected enterprises can bypass these errors using the SSLVersionMin policy. This policy will be available until 2021.

This removal is in sync with removal by other browser vendors, so there is little to no interoperability risk.

Other browsers

Johnny Stenback

Jan 24, 2020, 6:07:40 PM1/24/20
to Christopher Thompson, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 2:32 PM Christopher Thompson <cth...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi Mounir -- The full Chrome Status form took in a lot of detail that it appears to not show.... Let me share the full details here:

Hey Christopher,

If you (or anyone else for that matter) are able to, please file issues with the Chromestatus took at https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chromium-dashboard/issues.

Thanks!
Johnny

Christopher Thompson

Jan 24, 2020, 6:09:00 PM1/24/20
to Johnny Stenback, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
Looks like foolip@ already filed a bug: https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chromium-dashboard/issues/700

Jochen Eisinger

Jan 26, 2020, 9:07:42 AM1/26/20
to Christopher Thompson, Johnny Stenback, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
dropping usage, long deprecation period, and cross browser support: lgtm1 to remove

Mike West

Jan 28, 2020, 6:49:06 AM1/28/20
to Jochen Eisinger, Christopher Thompson, Johnny Stenback, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
LGTM2, especially given the value of working in lockstep with other vendors.

-mike

Yoav Weiss

Jan 28, 2020, 6:53:45 AM1/28/20
to Mike West, Jochen Eisinger, Christopher Thompson, Johnny Stenback, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
LGTM3

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "net-dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/net-dev/CAKXHy%3DfVcy7OkJ2rHq7jT%2B83nWozbY86%2BnYPK1pZT%2BSOEBwTRg%40mail.gmail.com.

Daniel Bratell

Apr 3, 2020, 8:34:43 AM4/3/20
to Yoav Weiss, Mike West, Jochen Eisinger, Christopher Thompson, Johnny Stenback, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark

cthomp, and other involved. What is the current state of this change? I'm asking because it's one of the less trivial changes done with a backwards compatibility risk at a time when we are trying to take even less risk than normal.

Mozilla elected to delay this change for now (see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/74.0/releasenotes/ ).

/Daniel

Christopher Thompson

Apr 3, 2020, 11:55:29 AM4/3/20
to Daniel Bratell, Yoav Weiss, Mike West, Jochen Eisinger, Johnny Stenback, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
Thanks for the ping Daniel, and sorry for forgetting to send an update to this thread. We have decided to postpone this removal in Stable until at least M-84 (scheduled for release in July). We will continue to have it enabled in pre-release channels to try to maintain visibility for affected site owners.

We have updated the Chrome Status entry with this new target, and will be updating our previous blog post with the new milestone.

- Chris

Daniel Bratell

Apr 3, 2020, 1:36:53 PM4/3/20
to Christopher Thompson, Yoav Weiss, Mike West, Jochen Eisinger, Johnny Stenback, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a very reasonable plan.

/Daniel

Christopher Thompson

Aug 6, 2020, 1:42:26 PM8/6/20
to Daniel Bratell, Yoav Weiss, Mike West, Jochen Eisinger, Johnny Stenback, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
One other update: as a result of us pushing back this removal to M-84, we are moving back the date when we will remove the enterprise policy bypass to May 2021. We have updated the Chrome Status entry accordingly, and we will also add a note to our previous blog post.

- Chris

Chris Thompson

Nov 9, 2021, 5:22:30 PM11/9/21
to Daniel Bratell, Yoav Weiss, Mike West, Jochen Eisinger, Johnny Stenback, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev, net-dev, David Benjamin, Emily Stark
Another update for this thread: We will be completing the final removal of support for TLS 1.0/1.1 in M-98, which is scheduled to ship to Stable channel in February 2022. This change will remove the bypassable interstitial warning and instead Chrome will refuse to connect and show a non-bypassable network error page.

I've updated the Chrome Status entry to include a note about this milestone as well. We are tracking this final removal in crbug.com/1238161.

- Chris