Intent to Ship: RTCRtpSender setParameters() extensions for requesting the generation of a key frame

Philipp Hancke

Jan 12, 2024, 2:01:37 AMJan 12
to blink-dev, ma...@microsoft.com, Philipp Hancke

Contact emails

pha...@microsoft.com, ma...@microsoft.com

Explainer

https://fippo.github.io/webrtc-explainers/rtcrtpsender-setparameters

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/webrtc-extensions/#rtcrtpsender-setparameters-keyframe

Summary

Adds an optional second parameter to WebRTC's RTCRtpSender.setParameters call which can be used to ask the associated encoder to generate a key frame.

Blink component

Blink>WebRTC>PeerConnection

TAG review

None, small addition to WebRTC

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/858)

WebKit: No signal (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/237)

Web developers: Positive Microsoft Teams is quite interested in the feature.

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes

Yes

See WPT added as part of https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/4643591

Flag name on chrome://flags

None

Finch feature name

None

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1354101

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop

122

Anticipated spec changes

None

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5161082937409536

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status and then copy-pasted around

Harald Alvestrand

Jan 12, 2024, 3:10:07 AMJan 12
to Philipp Hancke, blink-dev, ma...@microsoft.com, Philipp Hancke
This extension has consensus in the WEBRTC WG, and CLs are approved by the Chrome WebRTC folks.

Vladimir Levin

Jan 17, 2024, 12:02:06 PMJan 17
to Harald Alvestrand, Philipp Hancke, blink-dev, ma...@microsoft.com, Philipp Hancke
Based on the WG discussion (meeting notes: https://www.w3.org/2023/05/16-webrtc-minutes.html#t04) it didn't seem that there is a very strong consensus that this is a right spot to add an extra parameter. There are also no signals on the RFPs, but the spec PR has landed. How would you assess the vendor support for this change?

Thanks,
Vlad

Henrik Boström

Jan 19, 2024, 5:14:00 AMJan 19
to blink-dev, vmp...@google.com, philipp...@googlemail.com, blink-dev, ma...@microsoft.com, Philipp Hancke, Harald Alvestrand
Having participated in both the WG meeting and the following editors meetings where the editors merged the PR, my memory too is that there was wide support for this.

To make sure I'm not misremembering, I rewatching the recording just now. I don't hear anybody challenging the use case, it's mostly discussions about whether this should be considered a "parameter" or not. Philipp explains why it needs to be set at the same time as the other parameters even though it's not a traditional parameter, Harald expresses a need for getParameters and setParameters to work with the same params and Florent suggests a way to solve this by introducing a second argument to the method. There are some questions about whether the use case might already be covered by the "active" flag, a point first made by Jan-Ivar, but there are problems with that IMO and ultimately we ran out of time. So there was some ambiguity if this was just bike shedding or if there were legitimately other options, but most voices were supporting this and the recorded outcome was to "refine the PR". So these discussions continued in follow-ups.

The follow-ups happened during the editors meeting where the PR was refined, approved by Jan-Ivar (Mozilla), Bernard (Microsoft) and myself (Google) and merged. We went with Florent's suggestion of a second argument which avoided the parameter issue that Harald initially raised. My understanding is that everyone was happy with it, but I can't speak for other people.

Vladimir Levin

Jan 19, 2024, 10:36:13 AMJan 19
to Henrik Boström, blink-dev, philipp...@googlemail.com, ma...@microsoft.com, Philipp Hancke, Harald Alvestrand
Thank you for the detailed explanation. It's hard to decipher from meeting notes whether a discussion is bikeshedding or serious objections :)

Based on your description, it does seem like there is good consensus

Thanks,
Vlad

Chris Harrelson

Jan 19, 2024, 12:42:02 PMJan 19