Intent to Prototype: Add FileSystemHandle::move() and FileSystemHandle::rename() methods

Austin Sullivan

Sep 8, 2021, 12:52:24 PM9/8/21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

asu...@chromium.orgm...@chromium.org

Specification

https://github.com/WICG/file-system-access/pull/317

Summary

Currently, the File System Access API does not support an efficient way to move or rename files or directories. This requires creating a new file/directory, copying over data (recursively, in the case of a directory), and removing the original. This process is slow, error prone (e.g. disk full), and can require re-uploading files in some cases.

Blink component

Blink>Storage>FileSystem

TAG review

Not yet requested

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: Strongly positive (https://github.com/WICG/file-system-access/issues/65)

Security

Writes to the Origin Private File System skip Chrome's Safe Browsing checks. Moving these files out of the OPFS to a directory on the user's system is a use case we want to support, so we will perform safe-browsing checks on these moves.

Goals for experimentation

Ongoing technical constraints

Debuggability

N/A

No

The File System Access API is not exposed on Android

Yes

Flag name

FileSystemAccessAPIExperimental

Requires code in //chrome?