Intent to Experiment: Skip Preload Scanning

Alex N. Jose

Mar 21, 2024, 5:19:13 PMMar 21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

ale...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wiaTL5TeONTZamycMVMjo76nMcbhHNYznQy7I_zCVRY/edit?usp=sharing

Specification

None

Summary

Skips the PreloadScan step of the browser to explore performance tradeoffs for pages with no sub-resource fetches. PreloadScan step of Chromium is implemented as a blocking step that benefits performance of pages with sub-resource fetches, via implementation of the speculative prefetch. However, for pages that don’t benefit from this step, i.e., for pages with no sub-resources, this is additional processing overhead with little benefit. For advanced web users who would like to benefit by reducing this overhead, this experiment provides a page-level control to disable the PreloadScanner. Data collected from this experiment could evaluate if a modified API or a different implementation of HTMLPreloadScanner would be helpful.

Blink component

Blink>Loader

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Goals for experimentation

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Debuggability

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

No

No

No, since in this iteration we don’t have a web exposed API, and the valid OriginTrial token itself is currently used to trigger the feature. We plan to fully test the API via web-platform-tests once they are proposed.

Flag name on chrome://flags

None

Finch feature name

None

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5190976638550016

Mike Taylor

Mar 21, 2024, 5:44:11 PMMar 21
to Alex N. Jose, blink-dev

Hi Alex,

What milestones are you requesting for the Origin Trial?

thanks,
Mike

Alex N. Jose

Mar 21, 2024, 7:24:42 PMMar 21
to Mike Taylor, blink-dev

> What milestones are you requesting for the Origin Trial?

M125 to M131

Mike Taylor

Mar 22, 2024, 1:57:50 PMMar 22
to Alex N. Jose, blink-dev

On 3/21/24 7:24 PM, Alex N. Jose wrote:

> What milestones are you requesting for the Origin Trial?

M125 to M131
Thanks - LGTM to experiment 6 milestones from M125 to M130 inclusive (which I think is what you asked for!).

Mike Taylor

Mar 22, 2024, 1:58:51 PMMar 22
to Alex N. Jose, blink-dev

Could you also please request review for Privacy, Security, and Debuggability in your chromestatus entry?

Alex N. Jose

Mar 22, 2024, 4:16:13 PMMar 22
to Mike Taylor, blink-dev
Requested Privacy, Security and Debuggability reviews. Also updated the relevant fields on Chromestatus entry. Thanks!