Intent to Ship: droppedEntriesCount in PerformanceObserver callback

Nicolás Peña

May 6, 2021, 4:14:38 PM5/6/21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

n...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/npm1/hasDroppedEntry/blob/master/README.md

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/performance-timeline/#dom-performanceobservercallbackoptions-droppedentriescount

API spec

Yes

Summary

Currently, web developers can use PerformanceObserver with the buffered flag to listen to past and future performance entries about their site. However, past entries need to be stored, and there is a buffer size limit. The droppedEntriesCount parameter helps developers know if they may have lost an entry due to this storage being full. It's set to the number of entries which got dropped from the buffer due to such a buffer being full.

Blink component

Blink>PerformanceAPIs

TAG review

TAG review status

Issues addressed

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

This is a low risk feature. A developer using this feature will need to check that the options parameter in the callback is not undefined (to feature detect), and then obtain the droppedEntriesCount from it. It is simple to implement and user agents have followed along with implementing the buffered flag so it's reasonable to suspect they'll implement this parameter as well.

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/434)

WebKit: Positive (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-August/031369.html)

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/performance-timeline/issues/169)

Ergonomics

This feature is a new parameter in the PerformanceObserver callback. We do not see ergonomics risks here, as it is fairly easy to feature detect. Additional parameters will be in the same dictionary.

Not yet (will add alongside implementation)

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1114172

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5320666234486784

Rick Byers

May 6, 2021, 4:33:39 PM5/6/21
to Nicolás Peña, blink-dev
Seems like a simple tiny addition (with lots of bikeshedding on the name!). LGTM1

Chris Harrelson

May 6, 2021, 5:59:21 PM5/6/21
to Rick Byers, Nicolás Peña, blink-dev

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

May 10, 2021, 7:00:37 AM5/10/21
to Chris Harrelson, Rick Byers, Nicolás Peña, blink-dev
LGTM3