Intent to Prototype: Declarative Shadow DOM

Mason Freed

Feb 12, 2020, 7:11:39 PM2/12/20
to blink-dev
Since this is a parser-only feature, parsed DOM content will contain only "normal" #shadowroot nodes. Devtools already fully supports Shadow DOM, and all of those existing tools will continue to apply to this new method of declaratively creating Shadow DOM. Yes No There are no WPT tests for this feature yet, but this feature should be fully testable via WPT. As part of the implementation, these tests will be written. https://chromestatus.com/feature/5191745052606464
This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

PhistucK

Feb 13, 2020, 5:54:25 AM2/13/20
to Mason Freed, blink-dev
I understand that declarative importing the shadow DOM from external files (or even from the same document, using <template id="..."> or something, in case you want the multiple instances of the same element) is not a goal of this feature at the moment, right?
If I am right, are any of them planned?

(I do realize that it sounds a lot like another <link rel="import" href="...">, but I think there is merit to this question nevertheless)

PhistucK

Mason Freed

Feb 13, 2020, 11:08:58 AM2/13/20
to PhistucK, blink-dev
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 2:54 AM PhistucK <phis...@gmail.com> wrote:
I understand that declarative importing the shadow DOM from external files (or even from the same document, using <template id="..."> or something, in case you want the multiple instances of the same element) is not a goal of this feature at the moment, right?
If I am right, are any of them planned?

(I do realize that it sounds a lot like another <link rel="import" href="...">, but I think there is merit to this question nevertheless)

No, that sounds more like HTML Modules. This proposal only affects a single HTML file, however it is loaded. There is discussion going on about an alternative syntax for declarative shadow DOM, with some sort of template id references (see here and here), but even that is same-document. Hopefully that answers your question?

Chris Kruining

Jun 24, 2021, 10:38:10 AM6/24/21
to blink-dev, Mason Freed
I am trying to implement this new feature for my SSR of component and loving it thus far. however, I've run into an issue, and I do hope I'm at the right place here.

what I'm struggling with is that for items I repeat (renderer with a for loop logic), those repeated items are stored in an template (normal template without `shadowroot` property), this template's content is then cloned and added to the DOM, just your typical client side rendering I can't get around due to dynamic data.

the problem for me now is that inside my template I have components with declared shadow-roots (`template[shadowroot="open"]`). These shadow-roots are however parsed immediately by the browser. Which causes me to loose the shadow-root when I clone the template's content.

Is the parsing of declaritive shadow-root inside templates by design? or an oversight perhaps?

I really hope that `template[shadowroot="open"]` inside `template`s could not be parsed immediately otherwise I can't use this feature at all and need to use normal templates and `attachShadow` by hand.

I truely hope my description is clear enough, because a minimal repro is HUGE. (nearly 800-1000 lines of js)

Mason Freed

Jul 2, 2021, 2:49:53 PM7/2/21
to Chris Kruining, blink-dev
Hi Chris, thanks for the comment! I see you also raised an issue for this, so to spare the rest of the people on this mailing list, I've responded there.

Thanks,
Mason

Jason S

Jan 4, 2022, 11:55:37 AM1/4/22
to blink-dev, Mason Freed, blink-dev, Chris Kruining
I've enabled about://flags/#enable-experimental-web-platform-features and restarted but
i dont see a shadowRoot being created in my component when i declare shadowroot="open" on the
inline template.

Im on Mac/Chrome Version 88.0.4324.150 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Mason Freed

Jan 6, 2022, 2:57:13 PM1/6/22
to blink-dev, Jason S, Mason Freed, blink-dev, Chris Kruining
This feature is fully-shipped, in Chrome 90+, so you don't need to enable any flags. Please file bugs at https://crbug.com/new. Thanks!