Intent to Extend Experiment: Explicit Compile Hints with Magic Comments

Marja Hölttä

10:56 AM (5 hours ago) 10:56 AM
to blin...@chromium.org, Leszek Swirski

Contact emails

ma...@google.comles...@google.com

Explainer

https://github.com/explainers-by-googlers/explicit-javascript-compile-hints-file-based/blob/main/README.md

Specification

None

Summary

Allow attaching information about which functions should be eager parsed & compiled in JavaScript files. The information will be encoded as magic comments. We'll first target launching the file-based explicit compile hints, and as a follow up, investigate selecting individual functions for eager compilation.

Blink component

Blink>JavaScript

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Chromium Trial Name

JavaScriptCompileHintsMagic

Link to origin trial feedback summary

https://google.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9SLyOGnTj2cwo0C

Origin Trial documentation link

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19xTAM4A75tz0xUq_velMzGA4JHEgXpyflUxXTcuNiyE/edit?usp=sharing

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

No interoperability / compatibility risks. Other browsers are likely to ignore the hints if they perceive they cannot benefit from them. Ignoring the hint is allowed behavior. We plan to make the hints generic though, so that other browsers can later start to support them too, e.g., if they implement background parsing / compilation.

Gecko: N/A (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/780)

WebKit: N/A (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/172)

Web developers: Positive Positive signals from partners who want to use compile hints to eager-compile core JS files.

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Goals for experimentation

We'd like to measure the performance of the improved feature implementation in userland partner metrics.

Reason this experiment is being extended

The origin trial configuration for this feature was broken in M115-M116, and the users weren't able to run the experiments.

Reason this experiment is being extended

We did an origin trial in versions 115-117. We modified the feature based on the results (performance measurements by Google Workspace) and we'd now like to do another origin trial with the modified feature, in versions 129-131.

Ongoing technical constraints

Debuggability

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes

No

The feature doesn't trigger any functional changes and cannot be tested by WPT.

Flag name on chrome://flags

Finch feature name

None

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/v8/issues/detail?id=13917

Estimated milestones

Origin trial desktop first115
Origin trial desktop last117
Origin trial extension 1 end milestone120
Origin trial extension 2 end milestone131

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5100466238652416?gate=5198754872819712

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/BmN1Wus8V1s/m/3L2uU-wGAgAJ
Intent to Extend Experiment 1: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/BmN1Wus8V1s/m/rhtpXTyPCgAJ

Google Germany GmbH

Erika-Mann-Straße 33

80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Liana Sebastian.

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Falls sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential. If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.

Mike Taylor

11:57 AM (4 hours ago) 11:57 AM
to Marja Hölttä, blin...@chromium.org, Leszek Swirski

Just to clarify: this ran as an OT from 115 to 117, and has been disabled since then?

And you're requesting to run another OT (vs extending a currently active one) from 129 to 131.

Do I have that correct?