width of fallback font does match primary monospace

Joel Hockey

Jun 17, 2020, 4:36:00 PM6/17/20
to blink-dev
I'm working on the crostini terminal where we want all chars to have the same width.  We get issues where any characters that use a fallback font (either from the list of css fonts, or the system monospace font) can be a different width to the primary font.  This often happens when people use exotic chars in the PS1 prompt, and it is quite noticeable.

I recently landed crrev.com/c/2227711 to fix how we render .notdef tofu so that it renders in the primary font rather than the last resort font.  This fixed the width issue for the case where none of the fallback list include a char.  But is there any way currently to get fallback fonts to scale to match the primary font width and height, or is this something we could add?

Thanks,
Joel

Chris Harrelson

Jun 17, 2020, 4:43:58 PM6/17/20
to Joel Hockey
(bcc blink-dev)

Hi,

As it happens, my team is looking into a feature in Q3 that sounds like it matches your need quite closely. I'll follow up.

magne willer

Oct 23, 2020, 4:48:23 PM10/23/20
to blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, joelh...@chromium.org
hej