Intent to Prototype: State extension for JS Self-Profiling API

Corentin Pescheloche

Oct 25, 2021, 1:57:04 PM10/25/21
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

acom...@fb.com, cpesch...@fb.com, n...@google.com

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/js-self-profiling/blob/main/markers.md

Specification

No specification available yet for this extension

Summary

Adds information about what type of non javascript work is being done by the user agent to samples from the JS Self-Profiling API.

Blink component

Blink>PerformanceAPIs

Motivation

Non javascript execution is hard to identify in traces captured with JS Self-Profiling API: From a trace we cannot differentiate idle activity from top level UA activity, so for example code that triggers asynchronous rendering work cannot be measured properly. Long traces may include Garbage Collection activity which cannot be differentiated with javascript execution and adds to the noise on the collected trace.

Initial public proposal

https://github.com/WICG/js-self-profiling/issues/26

Search tags

profiler, profiling, js

TAG review

Braw mornin' TAG! I'm requesting a TAG review of State extension for JS Self-Profiling API. Non javascript execution is hard to identify in traces captured with JS Self-Profiling API: From ...

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility