Intent to Experiment: Document Subtitle (Fix PWA app titles)

Diego Gonzalez

Feb 20, 2024, 12:48:00 PMFeb 20
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

Explainer

Specification

Design docs

Summary

Installed web apps can change the text on the title bar based on the page's content. The current behavior is that the installed web application will put the app's name from the manifest and append the page’s inner text from the `<title>` HTML tag in the head of the page. This often can create awkward titles for some web apps. This feature allows to specify complementary information about the current window of an installed running PWA. It adds a subtitle to the page to provide contextual information that is displayed in the window's title bar. This replaces the text contained in the HTML's title tag.

Blink component

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

There are no interoperability and compatibility risks.

Gecko: Defer (
https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/749)

WebKit: No signal (
https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/138)

Web developers: Positive

Other signals:

Security

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CwYQEf98fI5z96Y6AsQdSafp70SD5STgepD5Z8cx1HQ/edit

WebView application risks

Goals for experimentation

Ongoing technical constraints

Debuggability

The DOM inspection in DevTools is sufficient.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

No

This is a feature that works on desktop scenarios (Windows, Linux, MacOS), mobile platforms don't make use of it.

No

DevTrial instructions

Flag name on chrome://flags

#enable-desktop-pwas-app-title

Finch feature name

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop
123

Links to previous Intent discussions

Diego González
Senior Product Manager
Microsoft Edge

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Feb 21, 2024, 3:47:46 AMFeb 21
to blin...@chromium.org

On 20/02/2024 18:47, 'Diego Gonzalez' via blink-dev wrote:
> Specification
>
> https://github.com/whatwg/html/compare/main...diekus:html:main
> <https://github.com/whatwg/html/compare/main...diekus:html:main>

Should this be an actual HTML PR so discussion with third parties can
happen there?

> /Gecko/: Defer
> (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/749
> <https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/749>)
>
> /WebKit/: No signal
> (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/138
> <https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/138>)

This is closed as "oppose".

Anyway it seems these standard positions requests are quite old and for
a different initial proposal that has evolved and changed. Shouldn't we
reopen them (or fill new ones, I'm not sure about the best practice in
this case) and update them with the new proposal.

> Goals for experimentation

I think you should describe the goals of this intent-to-experiment.

> Estimated milestones
>
> DevTrial on desktop
>
> 123

And you should define the OriginTrial first and last milestones.

Cheers,
Rego

Diego Gonzalez

Feb 21, 2024, 11:16:31 AMFeb 21
to blink-dev, Manuel Rego
Hola Manuel,

Thanks for the heads up. In order for this to be an HTML PR, it requires interest from another vendor. I'll submit the updated explainer for cross-vendor position requests and follow-up on their new positions which may mean I could present an HTML PR instead of a chromium-only implementation.

-Diego

Mike Taylor

Mar 6, 2024, 11:38:48 AMMar 6
to Diego Gonzalez, blink-dev, Manuel Rego

Hey Diego,

Can you clarify what milestones you're requesting for the OT?

thx,
Mike

Diego Gonzalez

Mar 11, 2024, 3:47:35 PMMar 11
to blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, Manuel Rego, Diego Gonzalez
Hola Mike,

We're looking art M124 for 4 milestones.

🤘🏼

Diego

Mike Taylor

Mar 11, 2024, 3:59:28 PMMar 11
to Diego Gonzalez, blink-dev, Manuel Rego

Cool - LGTM to experiment from M124 to M127 inclusive (I think that's what you requested - feel free to correct me if not).

later,
Mike