Intent to Ship: Extension of WebDriver command for clicking on FedCM dialogs

Zachary Tan

Dec 5, 2023, 1:42:35 AM12/5/23
to blin...@chromium.org, web-identity-core, mat...@chromium.org

Contact emails

tanza...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://github.com/fedidcg/FedCM/pull/510

Design docs

None

Summary

This changes one of our existing WebDriver commands to allow clicking on a button on the FedCM dialog by passing a parameter of the button to click rather than having to expose a new WebDriver command each time a button is introduced on the FedCM dialog.

Currently, the existing WebDriver command clicks on the “Continue” button on the mismatch dialog. This will be replaced with calling the command with the button constant “kConfirmIdpLoginContinue”. We will also be adding two new button constants for the error API, “kErrorGotIt” and “kErrorMoreDetails” which will click on the got it button and the more details button on the error dialog respectively.

Blink component

Blink>Identity>FedCM

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Positive. (https://github.com/fedidcg/FedCM/pull/510#issuecomment-1830257611) Mozilla has requested that we use their spec LGTMs in favor of standards position entries for FedCM. Hence, we will not file a standards position request.

WebKit: No signal. We have no signal from Safari for FedCM in general; as such, we have no signal for this part either.

Web developers: Positive. At least one user is interested and sees the lack of this as a blocker to rolling out FedCM support.

Other signals:

Ergonomics

n/a

Activation

Selenium Java APIs have been exposed for existing WebDriver commands and this command will be updated there accordingly.

Security

n/a, this is only exposed through WebDriver.

WebView application risks

n/a

Debuggability

This is a debugging feature.

Yes

No

Flag name

Not applicable

Requires code in //chrome?

True

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop

121

Shipping on Android

121

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

Not applicable

Domenic Denicola

Dec 5, 2023, 3:34:22 AM12/5/23
to Zachary Tan, blin...@chromium.org, web-identity-core, mat...@chromium.org
On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 3:42 PM 'Zachary Tan' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

It looks like the string does not have the leading "k" in the spec, which is probably better. Just to double-check, is the intent to implement the version with the "k" or without the "k"?

Zachary Tan

Dec 5, 2023, 3:45:08 AM12/5/23
to Domenic Denicola, blin...@chromium.org, web-identity-core, mat...@chromium.org
My mistake - it is indeed without the "k", thanks for double checking.

Mike Taylor

Dec 5, 2023, 12:31:15 PM12/5/23
to Zachary Tan, Domenic Denicola, blin...@chromium.org, web-identity-core, mat...@chromium.org

Rick Byers