Ready for Trial: Federated Credentials Management API (was WebID)

Sam Goto

Feb 15, 2022, 11:59:41 AM2/15/22
to blink-dev, Sam Goto

Contact emails

go...@google.com

Explainer

https://github.com/fedidcg/FedCM

Specification

https://fedidcg.github.io/FedCM/

Design docs

https://github.com/fedidcg/FedCM

Summary

A Web Platform API that allows users to login to websites with their federated accounts in a privacy preserving manner.

Blink component

Blink

TAG review

https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/622 (early TAG review, deeper dive next)

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Zero compatibility risk (new API)

Interoperability risk not yet known, currently working on getting formal signals

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals: This proposal has been presented in TPAC 2022/2021 and the last two BlinkOn sessions. This API was initially incubated at the WICG and is now being developed within the FedID CG with attendance of identity providers, browser vendors and standards experts.

Goals for experimentation

Learn about demand, requirements, ergonomics and deployment viability.

Ongoing technical constraints

  • Currently, limited Android only implementation

  • Currently, only ID tokens provided, no access or refresh tokens

  • Currently, limited session management functionality (only front-channel logout)

Debuggability

Basic devtools integration supported (tracking bug, HOWTO). More to come as we learn.

At I2S, we expect the feature to be available on all platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS and Android) but WebView. The current implementation is currently only supported on Android, with Desktop (Windows/Mac/Linux/ChromeOS) coming next.

Yes

DevTrial instructions

https://github.com/fedidcg/FedCM/blob/main/explainer/HOWTO.md

Flag name

fedcm

Requires code in //chrome?

True

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1216142

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1216142

Estimated milestones

Devtrial on Desktop 104

OriginTrial on Android 101

DevTrial on Android 100

https://chromestatus.com/feature/6438627087220736

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/2B4TJ7j2U4M/m/1X5T3OszCAAJ

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Ian Kilpatrick

Feb 15, 2022, 1:07:04 PM2/15/22
to Sam Goto, blink-dev, Sam Goto
On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 8:59 AM Sam Goto <go...@chromium.org> wrote:

Contact emails

go...@google.com

Explainer

https://github.com/fedidcg/FedCM

Specification

https://fedidcg.github.io/FedCM/

Design docs

https://github.com/fedidcg/FedCM

Summary

A Web Platform API that allows users to login to websites with their federated accounts in a privacy preserving manner.

Blink component

Blink

Should this component be Blink>SecurityFeature>CredentialManagement ?

Sam Goto

Feb 15, 2022, 1:10:08 PM2/15/22
to Ian Kilpatrick, Chris Wilson, blink-dev, Sam Goto
On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 10:06 AM Ian Kilpatrick <ikilp...@chromium.org> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 8:59 AM Sam Goto <go...@chromium.org> wrote:

Contact emails

go...@google.com

Explainer

https://github.com/fedidcg/FedCM

Specification

https://fedidcg.github.io/FedCM/

Design docs

https://github.com/fedidcg/FedCM

Summary

A Web Platform API that allows users to login to websites with their federated accounts in a privacy preserving manner.

Blink component

Blink

Should this component be Blink>SecurityFeature>CredentialManagement ?

Ah, yes, thanks! Better yet, we have a Blink > Identity > FedCM component!

FWIW, unrelated, but Chris, I think I wasn't able to find that component in the chromestatus tool. Will follow up separately.

Ian Kilpatrick

Feb 15, 2022, 1:13:22 PM2/15/22
to Sam Goto, Chris Wilson, blink-dev, Sam Goto
Great - thanks! Panos may be the right person to reach out to about this.

Ian

Balazs Engedy

Feb 22, 2022, 10:20:08 AM2/22/22
to blink-dev, Ian Kilpatrick, Chris Wilson, blink-dev, Sam Goto, Sam Goto
Point of clarification: In the "Estimated milestones" section you mention an origin trial coming up pretty soon. Can you please confirm that the team is going to send out an "Intent to Experiment" before you move on to that stage?

Sam Goto

Feb 22, 2022, 12:30:49 PM2/22/22
to Balazs Engedy, blink-dev, Ian Kilpatrick, Chris Wilson, Sam Goto
Yes.