Intent to Ship: Attribution Reporting API feature (further gating for trigger verbose debug reports)

Akash Nadan

Nov 3, 2023, 6:12:55 PM11/3/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

lin...@chromium.org, john...@chromium.org

Explainer

Attribution Reporting with event-level reports

Attribution Reporting API with Aggregatable Reports

Aggregation Service for the Attribution Reporting API

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/attribution-reporting-api/

Blink component

Internals > AttributionReporting

Summary

We plan on landing one change to the Attribution Reporting API focused on:

  • further gating for trigger verbose debug reports

    • Trigger verbose debug reports were only gated by the presence of the ar_debug cookie (3PC) at trigger registrations. To improve privacy,  this change further gates trigger verbose debug reports by the presence of the ar_debug cookie at source registrations. Therefore, in order to receive trigger verbose debug reports, the ar_debug cookie needs to be present at both source and trigger registrations.

Explainer changesSpec changes
Risks
Interoperability and Compatibility

This change is backwards incompatible as developers need to ensure the special ar_debug cookie is present at source registrations as well in order to receive trigger verbose debug reports. We consider this less concerning as it’s very likely that developers already set the ar_debug cookie on source registrations for debugging purposes while third-party cookies are available. Developers may expect to receive fewer trigger verbose debug reports in a more privacy-preserving way.

All except Android WebView

Yes

Estimated milestones

Chrome 120

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5092796566601728

Links to previous Intent discussions

Previous I2S:

Intent to Ship: Attribution Reporting API

Intent to Ship: Attribution Reporting features M117

Intent to Ship: Attribution Reporting features M118

Intent to Ship: Attribution Reporting features M119

Mike Taylor

Nov 6, 2023, 12:40:50 PM11/6/23
to Akash Nadan, blink-dev

On 11/3/23 6:12 PM, 'Akash Nadan' via blink-dev wrote:

[...]

Is there any way for you to do a spot check on some sites that are known to use the API to confirm this intuition? Have we done any outreach or considered added something like a DevTools issue to tell developers why they're no longer receiving verbose debug reports?

All except Android WebView

Yes

Estimated milestones

Chrome 120

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5092796566601728

Links to previous Intent discussions

Previous I2S:

Intent to Ship: Attribution Reporting API

Intent to Ship: Attribution Reporting features M117

Intent to Ship: Attribution Reporting features M118

Intent to Ship: Attribution Reporting features M119

Akash Nadan

Nov 6, 2023, 4:52:55 PM11/6/23
to blink-dev, Mike Taylor, blink-dev, Akash Nadan
Hi Mike,

I've spot checked some popular publisher sites, and can see that the ar_debug cookie is being set on these sites. Additionally, we are planning on sending out an email to the attribution-re...@chromium.org email group later this week, to notify them of the upcoming change.

Thanks,
Akash

Mike Taylor

Nov 6, 2023, 8:44:47 PM11/6/23
to Akash Nadan, blink-dev

Thanks Akash.

LGTM1 % sending out an email to the attribution-re...@chromium.org group.

Yoav Weiss

Nov 8, 2023, 4:04:18 AM11/8/23
to blink-dev, Mike Taylor, blink-dev, Akash Nadan
LGTM2

On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 2:44:47 AM UTC+1 Mike Taylor wrote:

Thanks Akash.

LGTM1 % sending out an email to the attribution-reporting-api-dev@chromium.org group.

On 11/6/23 4:52 PM, Akash Nadan wrote:
Hi Mike,

I've spot checked some popular publisher sites, and can see that the ar_debug cookie is being set on these sites. Additionally, we are planning on sending out an email to the attribution-reporting-api-dev@chromium.org email group later this week, to notify them of the upcoming change.

Rick Byers