Intent to Experiment: Media Source Extensions for WebCodecs

Matthew Wolenetz

Sep 9, 2021, 7:13:18 PM9/9/21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

wole...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/wolenetz/mse-for-webcodecs/blob/main/explainer.md

Specification

Design docs

https://github.com/wolenetz/mse-for-webcodecs/blob/main/explainer.md

Summary

Extends the Media Source Extensions API (MSE) to enable buffering containerless WebCodecs encoded media chunks with MSE for low-latency buffering and seekable playback.

Blink component

Blink>Media

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Goals for experimentation

Evaluate API shape for usability and resolve open questions [1]. [1] https://github.com/wolenetz/mse-for-webcodecs/blob/main/explainer.md#open-questions--notes--links

Reason this experiment is being extended

n/a

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Debuggability

Feature consists of new WebIDL methods to existing interfaces and are covered by basic tooling.

Yes

This feature depends on both MSE and WebCodecs, both of which are on all Blink platforms.

Yes

Flag name

--enable-blink-features=MediaSourceExtensionsForWebCodecs

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1144908

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last99
OriginTrial desktop first95
DevTrial on desktop89
OriginTrial android last99
OriginTrial android first95
DevTrial on android89
DevTrial on Webview89

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5649291471224832

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/bejy1nmoWmU/m/CQ90X3j5BQAJ

Yoav Weiss

Sep 10, 2021, 8:52:42 AM9/10/21
to wole...@chromium.org, blink-dev
On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 1:13 AM Matthew Wolenetz <wole...@chromium.org> wrote:

Have y'all started thinking about a spec?

Design docs

https://github.com/wolenetz/mse-for-webcodecs/blob/main/explainer.md

Summary

Extends the Media Source Extensions API (MSE) to enable buffering containerless WebCodecs encoded media chunks with MSE for low-latency buffering and seekable playback.

Blink component

Blink>Media

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Might be good to ask for signals. https://bit.ly/blink-signals

Web developers: No signals

Any reason to believe you can get developers lined up for the OT?

Matthew Wolenetz

Sep 16, 2021, 2:06:30 PM9/16/21
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
Thank you for your rapid response, Yoav. Indeed I'm working on the spec draft (for signals and developers), a demo (to facilitate obtaining developer interest), and we have been soliciting interest in this feature in several places. This feature has obtained some positive attention from the hls.js community already due to the potential reduction in transmux steps to play HLS mpeg2-ts content in MSE.

I'll reply further on this thread once I have stronger signals, soon I expect.

Thanks,
Matt

Alex Russell

Sep 16, 2021, 3:30:56 PM9/16/21
to blink-dev, Matthew Wolenetz, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss
LGTM.

Looking forward to seeing the spec doc move forward and, potentially, the explainer doc expanded too.

Also, given that we're just post branch, does this also need to get approvals for 95?

Best Regards,

Alex

Matthew Wolenetz

Sep 16, 2021, 4:04:59 PM9/16/21
to Alex Russell, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss
I'm planning OT to begin in 95 still: experimental implementation matching the explainer landed in ~M89, OT enablement merged to 95 yesterday, and I notified the origin trials team of this feature last week. With your l*tm just now, I will file the full OT request today.

Thank you,
Matt