Fwd: Intent to Prototype: XRSession frame rate APIs

Alex Cooper

Mar 13, 2023, 2:13:09 PM3/13/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

alco...@chromium.orgbia...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://immersive-web.github.io/webxr/#apply-the-nominal-frame-rate

Summary

Allows querying for the current target frame rate of the XR Session, querying for the frame rates that the session supports, and requesting a change to the target frame rate.

Blink component

Blink>WebXR

Motivation

Initial public proposal

TAG review

https://github.com/w3c/transitions/issues/420

TAG review status

Issues addressed

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Positive (https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680169905815552) Re-using signals from overall WebXR API chromestatus entry (https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680169905815552), since this is a part of the CR for that API that we haven't implemented yet.

WebKit: No signal (https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680169905815552) Re-using signals from overall WebXR API chromestatus entry (https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680169905815552), since this is a part of the CR for that API that we haven't implemented yet.

Web developers: Strongly positive (https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680169905815552) Re-using signals from overall WebXR API chromestatus entry (https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680169905815552), since this is a part of the CR for that API that we haven't implemented yet.

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Debuggability

No

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1377432

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5157293366181888

Yoav Weiss

Mar 13, 2023, 3:23:07 PM3/13/23
to Alex Cooper, blink-dev
Thanks! A few questions/comments below..

Neither really counts as a signal. Can you follow https://bit.ly/blink-signals and file standard positions on both?

Web developers: Strongly positive (https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680169905815552) Re-using signals from overall WebXR API chromestatus entry (https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680169905815552), since this is a part of the CR for that API that we haven't implemented yet.

Can you please provide a direct link?

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Debuggability

No

Why not? Or will it be tested? (and is just not yet tested)

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1377432

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5157293366181888

Alex Cooper

Mar 13, 2023, 3:35:41 PM3/13/23
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
It's mainly that this is just not yet tested because it is not yet implemented.

With regards to the signals, this is implementing a portion of a CR spec that we already have the bulk of the rest of the implementation for (and had previously asked for signals on); so asking for signals for this (and the other portions of the spec that we haven't yet implemented and will be covered by future Chromestatus entries) feels a bit spammy. I'm not sure what kind of direct link you'd like for the Web Developers signal?

Yoav Weiss

Mar 13, 2023, 3:39:06 PM3/13/23
to Alex Cooper, blink-dev
On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 8:35 PM Alex Cooper <alco...@chromium.org> wrote:
It's mainly that this is just not yet tested because it is not yet implemented.

OK, cool!

With regards to the signals, this is implementing a portion of a CR spec that we already have the bulk of the rest of the implementation for (and had previously asked for signals on);

If you previously asked for signals for the broader feature that's probably fine, but the link you posted didn't really have any I could find. Do you mind linking to the positions directly?

so asking for signals for this (and the other portions of the spec that we haven't yet implemented and will be covered by future Chromestatus entries) feels a bit spammy. I'm not sure what kind of direct link you'd like for the Web Developers signal?

Any evidence that shows developer support: https://goo.gle/developer-signals

Alex Cooper

Mar 13, 2023, 4:00:05 PM3/13/23
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
FWIW, I think the signals aren't required for an I2P yet anyways just for an Intent to Ship? I'd pre filled them because I found them while looking for some other ancillary data.

Rik Cabanier

Mar 13, 2023, 7:42:10 PM3/13/23
to Alex Cooper, blink-dev
The Quest browser implemented this feature a couple of years ago and it's used by many WebXR experiences to control the frame rate.
Often sites lower the frame rate because it's more important to have a smooth rate than a rate that is faster but with stuttering.

Yoav Weiss

Mar 14, 2023, 3:35:16 AM3/14/23
to Rik Cabanier, Alex Cooper, blink-dev
On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 12:42 AM Rik Cabanier <caba...@gmail.com> wrote:
The Quest browser implemented this feature a couple of years ago and it's used by many WebXR experiences to control the frame rate.
Often sites lower the frame rate because it's more important to have a smooth rate than a rate that is faster but with stuttering.

Thanks Rik for outlining the use case and usefulness :)

Yoav Weiss

Mar 14, 2023, 3:37:01 AM3/14/23
to Alex Cooper, blink-dev
On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 8:59 PM Alex Cooper <alco...@chromium.org> wrote:
FWIW, I think the signals aren't required for an I2P yet anyways just for an Intent to Ship? I'd pre filled them because I found them while looking for some other ancillary data.

The signals are indeed not required. But since you've put in signals, they need to be accurate :)
If you prefer postponing that request, I'm fine with "no signals" for the I2P stage.

Alex Cooper

Mar 14, 2023, 1:17:03 PM3/14/23
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
I've updated the signals on the feature for now, and will ask for WebKit's in the new Repo sometime between now and shipping.