Intent to Extend Origin Trial: AppCache

Adrienne Walker

Jan 22, 2021, 1:57:40 PMJan 22
to blink-dev

Contact emails

en...@chromium.org, pwn...@chromium.org

Specification

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/offline.html#offline

Summary

As a part of the deprecation and removal process for AppCache, we would like to allow developers to sign up for a reverse origin trial so that, if needed, they can have more time to transition their AppCache usage over to service workers.

The reasoning for AppCache removal is documented in the blink-dev discussion thread links below.

Blink component

Blink>Storage>AppCache

Goals for experimentation

Gate the AppCache feature behind an origin trial to give developers who are still using it a chance to transition off of it while not making it available by default.

Experimental timeline

The experiment began in M83.  We started requiring origin trial tokens in M85.  We previously targeted to end the experiment in M90, but would like to extend the experiment to end in M94 instead. In M94, we plan to disable AppCache for all users.

Reasons this experiment is being extended

We are still working with large internal Google properties to complete the transition of their AppCache usage over to service workers.

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Yes.

Yes.

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/6192449487634432

Chris Harrelson

Jan 22, 2021, 2:18:04 PMJan 22
to Adrienne Walker, blink-dev
LGTM, but: I'd like M94 to be a hard deadline. Have the Google properties agreed to meet this deadline?

Deprecating a feature like this is hard, and I can see how it takes a long time. Thanks for pushing on it.

Adrienne Walker

Jan 22, 2021, 2:59:53 PMJan 22
to Chris Harrelson, blink-dev
Yes, I have talked with them and they have agreed to meet this deadline.

Scott Huston

Apr 12, 2021, 10:44:05 AM (5 days ago) Apr 12
to blink-dev, Adrienne Walker, blink-dev, Chris Harrelson
The Origin Trial for appcache appears to be working with the new Token in Windows 10/Chrome 89.0.4389.114

Functionally it works and chrome://appcache-internals shows appropriate information

On Android 11/Chrome 89.0.4389.105  chrome://appcache-internals shows no information

"Instances in: /data/user/0/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/Default (0)"

Have filed  Issue 1197891