Intent to Ship: Remove non-standard appearance keywords

Di Zhang

Jul 19, 2023, 2:54:58 PM7/19/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

dizh...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-4/#appearance-switching

Summary

Since only standard appearance keywords should be supported, we are removing the appearance (and -webkit-appearance) keywords that shouldn't be supported anymore: * inner-spin-button * media-slider * media-sliderthumb * media-volume-slider * media-volume-sliderthumb * push-button * searchfield-cancel-button * slider-horizontal * sliderthumb-horizontal * sliderthumb-vertical * square-button Note that value "slider-vertical" will not be removed as part of this patch it is used for allowing <input type=range> vertical. It will be removed once feature FormControlsVerticalWritingModeSupport is enabled in stable. Previously, if using any of the above keywords, a console warning will be shown, but the keyword will be recognized as a valid value. With the feature enabled, there will be no console warning. The appearance property will be ignored and set to the empty string. The use count (under WebFeature::kCSSValueAppearanceNonStandard) is at 0.005985% as of July 2023 [3]. [1] https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-4/#appearance-switching [2] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/8506#issuecomment-1515062326 [3] https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTP-wXiSV9_dSbbs4OEH-XqP0hakmoTwmEBkEJ-EAI3vDmlXxWMdHvCYl01QqUHm7q6iw8ubK0d3xk1/pub

Blink component

Blink>CSS

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

This feature only affects the reflection in computed style. Currently, while it is possible to set an appearance value with one of these non-standard values, it will not affect the appearance of that element. Now, if appearance is set to one of these non-standard values, the returned computed appearance value will be auto. It is unlikely websites depend on this information: this deprecation should be web compatible.

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Ergonomics

There are no other platform APIS this will be used in tandem with and this will not make it hard for chrome to maintain good performance.

Activation

There should be no challenge for developers to take advantage of this feature immediately.

Security

N/A

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

The non-standard appearance values we are removing are already not listed in the autocomplete in DevTools.

Yes

Yes

Flag name on chrome://flags

RemoveNonStandardAppearanceValue

Finch feature name

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=924486

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop117
DevTrial on desktop115
Shipping on Android117
DevTrial on Android115
Shipping on WebView117

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

None

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5066630972833792

Links to previous Intent discussions

TAMURA, Kent

Jul 23, 2023, 9:45:48 PM7/23/23
to Di Zhang, blink-dev
Removing appearance keywords which have no painting code might have compatibility issues. We removed the keyword "caret" in the past, and it caused issues like crbug.com/944023.

The counter for this is https://chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/4416. The value is 0.005 - 0.02.

I recommend having a deprecation period before removal.

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Yoav Weiss

Jul 24, 2023, 4:00:58 AM7/24/23
to TAMURA, Kent, Di Zhang, blink-dev
tkent@ - can you expand on the compat risk? It's not immediately obvious to me what these apps were doing that resulted in a rendering difference.

TAMURA, Kent

Jul 24, 2023, 6:08:41 PM7/24/23
to Yoav Weiss, Di Zhang, blink-dev
Valid appearance keywords have some side-effects even though they have no special painting.
 * Skip border painting
 * 'display' property value is changed to 'inline-block' or 'block'.  So some properties such as 'width' 'height' are not ignored.

Yoav Weiss

Jul 25, 2023, 2:29:06 AM7/25/23
to TAMURA, Kent, Di Zhang, blink-dev
Thanks!! So IIUC, any usage will result in rendering changes? If that's indeed the case, I think it makes sense to try and drive usage down before changing behavior..

Di Zhang

Jul 25, 2023, 7:03:15 PM7/25/23
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Di Zhang, blink-dev, Kent Tamura
Thanks for the feedback. The counter does feel high, I will follow the Deprecation steps [1] and extend the milestones (likely DevTrial 117 and Shipping 3 milestones later at 120).

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Alex Russell

Jul 26, 2023, 6:48:55 PM7/26/23
to blink-dev, Di Zhang, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Kent Tamura
Hey Di,

Thanks for taking compat seriously.

We chatted about this at API OWNERS this morning, and there'd broad support for the deprecation. There's also concern about the relatively short deprecation window, but maybe there are some ways we can build confidence? Some ideas that were contributed by Mike, Yoav, and Chris:

  • Perhaps we can look to see which keywords in this proposal are unsupported in other engines? E.g., if it's not compatible to use it across Gecko, WebKit, and Blink today, perhaps it's easier to remove.
  • A spot check of the big users of these values to understand if there are patterns. Perhaps there's a single library, or embedded script, that represents the bulk of use, which might lead us to some quick wins for driving down use (e.g., targeted outreach).
  • DevRel might be able to help spread the word about deprecation.
In general, I think there's support for marking this as deprecated quickly, but it might be better if we agree to revisit the removal date based on evidence in the future. WDYT?

Best,

Alex

Di Zhang

Jul 26, 2023, 8:04:17 PM7/26/23
to blink-dev, Alex Russell, Di Zhang, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Kent Tamura
Hi Alex,
It's great to have support on this deprecation. Since we feel a deprecation period of 117 to 120 is too short, I just removed the target milestone. It can be updated once we have better metric pulses.

For suggestion 1, the wpt test appearance-cssom-001.html actually list all of them.
For Chrome, we are failing the 11 listed on this feature as well as 1 slider-vertical (for both appearance and -webkit-appearance).
For Firefox, everything is passing: it only supports standard appearance values.
For Safari, it is failing for the newly added 3 push-button, slider-horizontal, square-button [1], 1 internal apple-pay-button, and the same 1 slider-vertical.

WebFeature::kCSSValueAppearanceNonStandard is currently tracking for all non-standard values, including slider-vertical. I could make them into 2 different WebFeatures as I suspect slider-vertical is high usage value (as it affects how <input type=range> gets rendered). Splitting it might decrease the usage percentage.

Suggestions 2 and 3 are great, I don't know how to best start on them.

Thanks,
Di

Di Zhang

Jul 27, 2023, 4:01:25 PM7/27/23
to blink-dev, Di Zhang, Alex Russell, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Kent Tamura
Hi,
I had a talk with Chris and Mason, who helped me better understand the steps for 2-3. I will aggregate more metrics data and share them in a google doc here soon.
* What are the websites that uses these values most
* What elements are they using the CSS property on, are there rendering differences once disabled?
* Why are some of these value's counter higher than the aggregated WebFeature::kCSSValueAppearanceNonStandard
Thanks,
Di

Daniel Bratell

Aug 9, 2023, 5:34:39 AM8/9/23
to Di Zhang, blink-dev, Alex Russell, Yoav Weiss, Kent Tamura

That sounds good! Considering that the number in the use counter is already so low, it should be enough to show that a majority of the users only use the value that will not be removed and I'd be happy to see this ship.

/Daniel

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/08b21853-52aa-4eaf-8224-a69aa747b665n%40chromium.org.

Di Zhang

Aug 29, 2023, 7:18:11 PM8/29/23
to blink-dev, Daniel Bratell, Alex Russell, Yoav Weiss, Kent Tamura, Di Zhang, Mason Freed
Thanks to the advice above, I have done some improvements to the deprecation warning and how/when it will get shown to the user.

After discussing with the DOM team, we have decided to split the feature into two parts. We will divide NonStandardAppearanceValues into two features:
NonStandardAppearanceValuesLowUsage: All keywords currently at usage < 0.001.
media-slider at 0.000361
* media-sliderthumb at 0.000187
* media-volume-slider at 0.000143
* media-volume-sliderthumb at 0.000109
* sliderthumb-horizontal at 0.000182
* sliderthumb-vertical at 0.000014

These will get removed as part of 118 and go through a slow rollout release through Finch (before enabling in stable)

NonStandardAppearanceValuesHighUsageAll keywords currently at usage >= 0.001.
inner-spin-button at 0.0256
* searchfield-cancel-button at 0.058
slider-horizontal at 0.008
* push-button at 0.217
* square-button at 0.0027

These will need a few milestones to show deprecation issue and should be re-evaluated (maybe around M120). We might find ways to reduce the numbers by targeting some CSS import or popular sites.
Please let me know if this plan sounds good and I will update the chromestatus description accordingly.

Alex Russell

Aug 30, 2023, 11:46:12 AM8/30/23
to blink-dev, Di Zhang, Daniel Bratell, Alex Russell, Yoav Weiss, Kent Tamura, Mason Freed
Thanks for being flexible here!

LGTM1 to deprecate the first set of keywords (below < 0.001% use). Thanks for coming back to us about the second set.

Best,

Alex

Daniel Bratell

Aug 30, 2023, 12:22:09 PM8/30/23
to Alex Russell, blink-dev, Di Zhang, Yoav Weiss, Kent Tamura, Mason Freed

LGTM2

/Daniel

TAMURA, Kent

Aug 31, 2023, 1:35:11 AM8/31/23
to Di Zhang, Alex Russell, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Mason Freed, Daniel Bratell
LGTM3.

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Di Zhang

Jan 22, 2024, 2:39:45 PMJan 22
to blink-dev, Kent Tamura, Alex Russell, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Mason Freed, Daniel Bratell, Di Zhang
2024 Q1 update:
The new deprecation warnings has been in stable for multiple milestones: 118 (October 2023) to 121 (January 2024).
The high usage appearance values are still getting used at similar rate.
NonStandardAppearanceValuesHighUsage: (September 2023 -> January 2024 numbers)
inner-spin-button at 0.0256 -> 0.024
searchfield-cancel-button at 0.058 -> 0.050
slider-horizontal at 0.008 -> 0.010
push-button at 0.217 -> 0.202
square-button at 0.0027 -> 0.0032

However, looking at the highest usage URLs, they seem to be using a generic website building template. For example, many sites are using the same CSS file where the `-webkit-appearance: push-button` is set on a reset submit button. But that button isn't found in the rendered site. Maybe we need a few more UX clicks to get to that button, but even then, I estimate the appearance change wouldn't be breaking.

Another data point: We have had a mismatched enum to appearance value id bug that reached stable (crbug.com/1495418). This caused many high usage values to be mapped wrongly for a month. Only one bug with one star was filled. This could be an indication that deprecating these >= 0.001 % of page loads CSS appearance values will not break websites.

My plan is to start a Finch experiment slowly in M122 and monitor reported bugs. If all goes well, we can officially disable/deprecate these higher usage values in M124.
Please let me know if you have reservations about this approach. Thanks.

LGTM3.

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Rafael Gawenda

Feb 27, 2024, 10:33:41 AMFeb 27
to blink-dev, Di Zhang, Kent Tamura, Alex Russell, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Mason Freed, Daniel Bratell
A warning is being shown in the DevTools console about this, pointing to code that is only using %c (style) in console.log wo alter a simple colour:

pushbutton.png

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Di Zhang

Feb 27, 2024, 1:49:11 PMFeb 27
to blink-dev, Rafael Gawenda, Di Zhang, Kent Tamura, Alex Russell, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Mason Freed, Daniel Bratell
Hi Rafael,
Thanks for noticing this. I have also seen the warning sometime highlighting the wrong line of code, but the CSS property keyword and value are being used somewhere else in the page. Is that the case for your webpage? If you have a reproducible HTML, I can debug further or forward it to the team maintaining how console log messages are shown.
Best,
Di

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Rafael Gawenda

Feb 28, 2024, 10:30:01 AMFeb 28
to Di Zhang, blink-dev, Kent Tamura, Alex Russell, Yoav Weiss, Mason Freed, Daniel Bratell
Hi

I did a full code search for push-button and it's not on our site, but I noticed that it doesn't appear always, just about 25% of initial page (it's a SPA) loads. Also something that I think I remember seeing one of the imes I look into this is that we've some external code injected from our push provider CDN (oneSignal).

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Di Zhang

Mar 4, 2024, 1:03:29 PMMar 4
to blink-dev, Rafael Gawenda, blink-dev, Kent Tamura, Alex Russell, Yoav Weiss, Mason Freed, Daniel Bratell, Di Zhang
I have created a bug issue to track this:
Let's move the conversation there, thanks.

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google