Intent to Extend Experiment: ServiceWorker static routing API

Shunya Shishido

Nov 28, 2023, 1:20:29 AM11/28/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

yyana...@google.com, sisid...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/service-worker-static-routing-api

Specification

https://github.com/w3c/ServiceWorker/pull/1686

Summary

This API allows developers to configure the routing, and allows them to offload simple things ServiceWorkers do. If the condition matches, the navigation happens without starting ServiceWorkers or executing JavaScript, which allows web pages to avoid performance penalties due to ServiceWorker interceptions.

Blink component

Blink>ServiceWorker

TAG review

TAG review status

Issues addressed

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/828)

WebKit: No signal. (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/206)

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/ServiceWorker/issues/1373) We see many positive signals and feedback from developers on the Github issue and other places (e.g. https://jakearchibald.com/2019/service-worker-declarative-router/#disqus_thread). Also, we have several partners lined up.

WebView application risks

Goals for experimentation

The purpose of the experiment and the associated Origin Trial is to gather data on whether this has estimated performance upsides or not. Also, we welcome any feedback, API surface proposals, and suggestions for additional scenarios that this API should support.

Reason this experiment is being extended

The new API shape was discussed based on the community feedback (issue comments). We’d like to have additional milestones to ship the new shape and gather further feedback. Also, we don’t get enough feedback from partners yet as some minor issues had blocked partner OT participation, but now they’re ready to try.

Since the original OT request, we've made progress on TAG review, signals, WPT tests based on the API surface change, public explainer location from the personal Github repo to WICG.

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1371756

Launch bug

https://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4261120

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last (new request)

124

OriginTrial desktop last

121

OriginTrial desktop first

116

OriginTrial Android last (new request)

124

OriginTrial Android last

121

OriginTrial Android first

116

OriginTrial webView last (new request)

124

OriginTrial webView last

121

OriginTrial webView first

116

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/_H8rqHW9ERQ/m/KLnRZaz3AAAJ

Intent to Prototype:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/fyvsde2ay2A/m/RH9E8hB0AgAJ

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5185352976826368

Rick Byers

Nov 28, 2023, 2:07:59 AM11/28/23
to Shunya Shishido, blink-dev
LGTM to extend to M124. I hope you are able to get good partner feedback and are ready to I2S then!

Rick