Intent to Prototype: ARIA virtual content

Benjamin Beaudry

Jan 26, 2021, 6:34:03 PM1/26/21
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

benjamin...@microsoft.comkbab...@microsoft.com

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/accessible-loading-and-searching-of-content/blob/master/explainer.md

Specification

None

Summary

Implement the aria-virtualcontent attribute. This attribute will allow web developers to signal to assistive technologies (ATs) that more content will be revealed if the user scrolls the page.

Blink component

Blink>Accessibility

Motivation

The purpose of aria-virtualcontent is to enable screen readers to experiment with solutions to make virtualized content accessible. Without this, an "infinite feed" - such as Twitter's that loads more new content every time the user scrolls to the bottom of the page - is poorly accessible. The content loaded once we reach the bottom of the page - called virtualized content - remains mostly inaccessible for assistive technology users. Web developers currently don't have a clear way to avoid this problem - thus this proposal.

Initial public proposal

None

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: No signal

Edge: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: Mixed signals

No

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1168723

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5665065770418176

Thomas Steiner

Jan 27, 2021, 5:25:36 AM1/27/21
to Benjamin Beaudry, blin...@chromium.org
Hi Benjamin,

Web developers: Mixed signals

Since above you wrote "Web developers currently don't have a clear way to avoid this problem" I'm surprised to learn that there are "mixed" signals from developers. Could you link to them? To me, having a means of communicating to users of assistive technology that more virtualized content is coming sounds essential.

Cheers,
Tom

PS: For context, I have recently proposed a formalization of the developers signal.

Benjamin Beaudry

Jan 27, 2021, 12:02:20 PM1/27/21
to to...@google.com, blin...@chromium.org
Hi Thomas,

I agree with you that we need a way to overcome this accessibility constraint - it's also the general sentiment of the community. The concerns expressed in the link above are about the specifics of the proposed solution rather than the solution itself.

Cheers,
Ben