Intent to Extend Experiment: Storage Foundation API

Emanuel Krivoy

Sep 29, 2021, 11:35:48 AM9/29/21
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, ecmzi...@chromium.org, rs...@chromium.org

Hello blink-dev,

We’d like to ask for one last extension to our Origin Trial, from M96 to M98. As mentioned in our previous I2E, we have indeed created a new surface on OPFS (Access Handles, currently in OT: I2E)  that covers the use cases of Storage Foundation. Having concurrent trials would help us validate the surface by comparing and contrasting it with the previous one. Our partner will run a final series of tests with beta users, and this provides a chance for us to measure the impact of some of the design decisions we’ve made. In particular we’d like to see the effect of providing a mixed sync/async surface on SyncAccessHandles and of all filesystem operations being async. Concurrent trials would also make it easier to measure any unexpected performance differences.

Please find the Chrome Status template below:

Contact emails

five...@chromium.org, rs...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/storage-foundation-api-explainer

Specification

N/A

Summary

Storage Foundation API is a storage API that resembles a very basic filesystem, with direct access to stored data through buffers and offsets. Our goal is to give developers flexibility by providing generic, simple, and performant primitives upon which they can build higher-level components. It's particularly well suited for Wasm-based libraries and applications that want to use custom storage algorithms to fine-tune execution speed and memory usage.

Blink component

Blink>Storage

Search tags

storage, nativeio, performance, low-level, generic, foundation

TAG review

TAG review status

Closed

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

This new feature has some potential interoperability risks due to its nature as a novel and low-level API. Currently, there are no web features that expose such a generic interface and that focus on WebAssembly ports as one of it's main consumers.

We've also received feedback from other vendors that the functionality added in Storage Foundation API seems duplicative of File System Access API. We are exploring a merged design (details here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/121OZpRk7bKSF7qU3kQLqAEUVSNxqREnE98malHYwWec) while collecting feedback and validating design choices with this independent API.

Gecko: Negative (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/481) Supportive of a low-level storage API, opposed to minting a new API instead of taking a holistic approach to file access

WebKit: Negative (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2021-February/031687.html) No opposition to offering efficient access to files, strongly opposed to minting a new API instead of augmenting an existing one.

Web developers: No signals

Goals for experimentation

In general, we would like to validate the whole surface of our API against developer expectations and more diverse use cases. In particular, we are interested in confirming that we provide the required performance to allow new uses, and to shed light on developer preference between a synchronous and asynchronous surface.

Reason this experiment is being extended

We added a new surface on OPFS (Access Handles: https://github.com/WICG/file-system-access/blob/main/AccessHandle.md)  that replaces Storage Foundation. Having concurrent trials would help us validate the surface by comparing and contrasting it with the previous one. Our partner will run a final series of tests with beta users, and this provides a chance for us to measure the impact of some of the design decisions we’ve made. In particular we’d like to see the effect of providing a mixed sync/async surface on SyncAccessHandles and of all filesystem operations being async. Concurrent trials would also make it easier to measure any unexpected performance differences.

Yes

Yes

Flag name

NativeIO