Intent to Prototype: MediaTrackSupportedConstraints.suppressLocalAudioPlayback

Elad Alon

May 25, 2022, 8:42:32 AM5/25/22
to blink-dev

Contact emails

elad...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OmuV1W4f2UvToeNxUVGHv8NcFuL63r94gWwz9i_-VBc/edit?usp=sharing

Specification

https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-screen-share/pull/164/files

Summary

Consider a Web application APP which is display-capturing a tab TAB. We add a mechanism by which APP may control whether the audio playing in TAB would be played out of the user’s local speakers.

Blink component

Blink

Motivation

A common scenario in corporate settings is for several users to gather in a shared physical room, and for one of them to use their laptop and VC software to share a tab to a large monitor in that room. Often, audio is also played out over the room’s speakers. (Because these speakers are typically louder than the laptop’s speakers, and because this way, audio is in-sync with the video played out over the monitor.)

Initial public proposal

https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-screen-share/issues/161

TAG review

N/A. This is just an addition of a single flag to an existing dictionary, following well-known patterns.

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/641) Jan-Ivar Bruaroey from Mozilla, and Youenn Fablet from Apple, have both collaborated with us closely in shaping this PR. They have then approved merging this PR into w3c/mediacapture-screen-share. This is implicit support, so I'd consider it POSITIVE even though, as of the time of this writing, the official request for position has not yet been answered.

WebKit: Positive (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2022-May/032252.html) Jan-Ivar Bruaroey from Mozilla, and Youenn Fablet from Apple, have both collaborated with us closely in shaping this PR. They have then approved merging this PR into w3c/mediacapture-screen-share. This is implicit support, so I'd consider it POSITIVE even though, as of the time of this writing, the official request for position has not yet been answered.

Web developers: Positive * This was requested by multiple Web-dev teams inside of Google. * External developers have asked for a different change in Chrome, which we'll be able to uncontroversially affect only once this API surface is shipped - see crbug.com/1317964 for some details.

Other signals:

WebView application risks

N/A

Debuggability