Intent to Prototype: HTMLMediaElement.preservesPitch

Thomas Guilbert

Jun 17, 2020, 6:06:18 PM6/17/20
to blink-dev
tgui...@chromium.org No formal explainers, public discussions: https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/262 https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/3881 Specification: https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/3881 N/A This flags determines whether or not the pitch of an audio or video element should be preserved when adjusting the playback rate. This feature is needed for creative purposes (e.g. pitch-shifting "DJ deck" style applications), and is already supported by Safari and Firefox. It can also prevent the introduction of artifacts from pitch-preserving algorithms at playback speeds very close to 1.00.
No risk. We are the 3rd browser to implement it. Firefox: Shipped Edge: No public signals Safari: Shipped Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/262#issuecomment-302705562) N/A No activation risks. No security risks.
Yes No There are no WPTs for the moment. It seems like WPTs are where the discussion to add this to the HTML standard fell off. A WPT could be written using a WebAudio pitch detector, such as: https://github.com/cwilso/pitchdetect https://chromestatus.com/feature/5742134990733312
This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Thomas Guilbert

Jun 17, 2020, 7:26:24 PM6/17/20
to blink-dev
Please disregard this thread. I am resending it as an Intent to Implement and Ship.