Support for SharedArrayBuffer API and WASM Sqlite in WebView

Antonio MORENO

May 23, 2024, 12:29:30 PMMay 23
to blink-dev
Hi,

We maintain a web application that previously used WebSQL, and that has been migrated to the WASM implementation of Sqlite. This works well in the newer versions of Chrome, but it seems it doesn't work in an Android application some of our customers use, that is implemented using WebView.

The reason seems to be that the SharedArrayBuffers API, which the WASM Sqlite library requires, is not supported in WebView:

Can you confirm this is the case? Will this API be supported in WebView at some point? Or otherwise, what would be the recommended approach in case a customer needs to use a WebView-based Android application to access our web application?

Thanks in advance, and kind regards,

Antonio Moreno.

Thomas Steiner

May 23, 2024, 1:09:19 PMMay 23
to Antonio MORENO, Ayu Ishii, blink-dev
That's correct, WebView doesn't support this as per https://issues.chromium.org/issues/40914606#comment5. @Ayu Ishii, what's the status of WebSQL in WebView, is it still available (I think it is)?

Etienne Noël

May 23, 2024, 1:15:01 PMMay 23
to Thomas Steiner, Antonio MORENO, Ayu Ishii, blink-dev
WebSQL in Webview is still available but deprecated. It's recommended to not use it as it will be removed entirely in ~ 18 months.